FORUMS: list search recent posts

Looking for tips and manual for Media Express 3.2

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
Looking for tips and manual for Media Express 3.2
on Oct 20, 2014 at 8:07:04 pm

I can't seem to find any online documentation or a user manual to study - having trouble getting Media Express 3.2 to cooperate on outputting files of any sort, from my imac with FCPX and an Ultrastudio4k.

Tried to import a DVCpro HD file and an uncompressed 422 file into media express 3.2 and it wouldn't accept these, saying:

"this file format is not supported". Que!?!?!? I'm on OS 10.9.4

Really would appreciate any help or advice on getting a playback out of the 4k. problem is mildly urgent untilWednesday, when it turns to deadly serious.

Point me to the online manual,maybe It's me that's doing something wrong. I want to see my timeline playout and I want to see individual files imported into the Media Express application play out in realtime.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Looking for tips and manual for Media Express 3.2
on Oct 20, 2014 at 9:37:32 pm

(*crickets*)

Return to posts index

Jim Sustacek
on Oct 21, 2014 at 1:01:44 pm

Unfortunately, last I checked this is a known limitation of Media Express. Basically, Blackmagic only allows files that have been recorded by Media Express to be imported into Media Express. I tried doing all kinds of conversions with FFMPEG and other programs to replicate the format exactly but could not get past the message you are receiving.

Which is silly, because the Blackmagic hardware can clearly handle other files. If you need a solution to play back other files on the Blackmagic's output, you can use the command line tool bmdplay from the bmdtools suite (plus FFMPEG if the file needs conversion):

https://github.com/lu-zero/bmdtools

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 21, 2014 at 2:10:52 pm
Last Edited By Mark Suszko on Oct 21, 2014 at 2:13:20 pm

Thanks for the tip, Jim, we'll follow up on it.

Frankly, the entire office here is pretty burned-up about this issue; if true, it seems like a spectacular fail on the part of BMD, and it puts us in a difficult position regarding our expectations and meeting our client's needs, and it embarrassed me before my peers at the office since I vouched for the product. We only bought the UltraStudio 4k boxes for our imacs in the first place because BMD offered this software with it, and we assumed the product would have a reasonable level of functionality. We do news work here and need to be able to playout from the timeline or from stored .mov files to our uplink dish on command, live. I'm sorry, but MediaExpress 3.2 is not delivering to our expectations. This disappointment is going to color my opinion of any future BMD product purchases, going forward. I. Am. Angry. My previous five versions of this response were more pointed about that, but I canned those after regaining some composure. Oh well; moving forward.....

How are other people solving this problem? Does version 2.1 work? I thought I read that somewhere, and if so, how do I get a copy? Any Ultrastudio 4k users using the Softron playout application with the Ultrastudio? If I put a Thunderbolt AJA T-tap on my imac, would that get me a playout off my timeline over SDI? Because as a temporary work-around, That might help me.

Return to posts index

Chad Pearson
on Oct 21, 2014 at 10:16:26 pm

Who at Blackmagic said that Media Express was for use as playout software? It's purpose as far as I understand is to ingest from tape, and lay back out to tape. I don't even think it has any edit capability at all. Also, the Media Express software has nothing to do with the functionality of the UltraStudio 4k and the ability to use NLE software like Premiere/Avid/FCPX to preview or playout from your timeline there. If you are having compatibility problems with your NLE it is most likely a driver or settings problem.

Also, as you can tell by the forum page, users only check these forums every couple of days.

Return to posts index

Bill Dawson
on Nov 16, 2014 at 4:35:35 am

I use the Softron play out software in a broadcast control room and it's great.

Bill

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 2, 2015 at 4:18:27 pm

Tried the Softron demo and it looks like a way better solution.

Meanwhile, my latest captures off DVC Pro HD tape using Media Express creates files with out-of-synch audio, wth?

Also, the blanks where you type in clip names, log metadata, etc. before capturing won't accept anything, no matter what we try, so every complete capture come up with the title: "untitled 01, untitled 02", etc. You can re-name the files afterwards once they are in a folder.

Would like to know a fix for the audio offset and the logging problem.

Return to posts index

Jim Sustacek
on Jan 5, 2015 at 8:07:17 pm

For the clip names, I had to click the icon to the right that says "Prompt for name of each clip" when you hover over it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]