FORUMS: list search recent posts

Forced Obsolesence - VERY Unhappy

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Jackson
Forced Obsolesence - VERY Unhappy
on Oct 11, 2014 at 7:32:15 pm

So I've been a very happy Decklink owner, several models, for almost a decade. But I'm now VERY unhappy.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems the only way to get proper video out in Premiere and After Effects CC 2014 is with new drivers that BREAK FINAL CUT 7.

Editing is how I make a living, and though more and more of my work is using the Adobe suite, I still have large numbers of clients that use FCP 7, and I still rely on some of its tools. It's not a matter of 'keeping with the times', it's pure business - I need my tools to work with BOTH sets of programs.

I am FAR from alone. Please BMD, give us drivers that support both. Otherwise, it looks like switching to AJA is my only option.

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
Re: Forced Obsolesence - VERY Unhappy
on Oct 14, 2014 at 9:45:51 pm

which driver version breaks fcp 7?

Return to posts index

Mike Jackson
on Oct 15, 2014 at 5:57:55 am

10 and up, as far as I can tell from various forums. And evidently BM has simply responded "FCP 7 is no longer supported. It says so in the documents."

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Oct 15, 2014 at 5:44:58 pm

If you use Resolve, I believe it will only output using BM cards/boxes. Resolve doesn't output to AJA.

Return to posts index

Mike Jackson
on Oct 16, 2014 at 7:10:26 am

Yeah, and that kind of walled garden approach is another thing that ticks me off. Resolve won't play nice with my graphics card (which I need for ray-traced rendering in After Effects), and Blackmagic won't support Adobe Speedgrade, so I can't use EITHER.

Thankfully I've been happily using SA Color Finesse for years and have been very happy with it, and it runs in FCP and AE (and I guess Premiere if I buy ANOTHER license for it).

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
on Nov 20, 2014 at 2:20:32 pm

Unfortunately this is the way things go. If you have different tools on the same computer sooner or later something is going to get updated and as a result spoil the game for the other apps. Personally I never update anything on a working system.

Most of us who make a living in post production have more than one computer in the office. For instance, I have a Mac pro running FCP7 with the appropriate OS and BM driver. Also a Mac Pro running FCPX with the appropriate OS and BM driver. The BM drivers are very specific and the read me files list what is supported and what isn't. You have to trawl though all the read me's until you find the one that suits your needs/setup.

Return to posts index

Mike Jackson
on Nov 20, 2014 at 6:30:30 pm

Your response seems to assume that it is somehow unreasonable to expect a hardware manufacturer to support backward-compatibility in their products, specifically to maintain support of one of the most popular (AND still HEAVILY in use) pieces of software it was designed to work with.

I absolutely reject this premise. Many other hardware manufacturers continue support for older software. Blackmagic could too, and they're losing me as a customer because they chose not to.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]