FORUMS: list search recent posts

ProRes Data Rate Calculator for BMD Recorders

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Micha McLain
ProRes Data Rate Calculator for BMD Recorders
on Sep 27, 2014 at 6:40:55 pm

So, we use BMD gear all over the place and are actually authorized resellers. However, one thing really bugged us about their hyperdeck disk recorders: NO REMAINING MEDIA TIME INDICATION.

Yes, we know the rackmount units have dual disk for instant swaping once a disk is full, but we wanted an easy solution to estimate the use of our drives.

So, we simply built a ProRes Calculator that calculates the data rate and storage requirements from major frame sizes and frame rates.

Check it out. It's totally free to use.

Thanks,
Micha

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: ProRes Data Rate Calculator for BMD Recorders
on Sep 28, 2014 at 10:28:28 pm

this is wonderful Micha !
It's like AJA Data Calc, but you can run it on line, instead of having to download it to your Mac or your iPhone.

http://www.aja.com/en/family/software

bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Micha McLain
on Sep 28, 2014 at 10:35:33 pm

Exactly. I have that app as well, but had many many times when I need that calculator in the field when all I had was my iPhone. So, I made a simply web based calculator/form.

I have a script timer as well, plus some new ideas I'm working on for the future. Check out http://www.multiversemediagroup.com/production-tools/ for the script timer as well.

if any one has any other production app they'd like to see, please let me know. I'm always down to give it a try.

Also, if there are any other codecs that anyone would like to see in the Data Rate Calculator, please let me know that too. It's build in a way that I can simply add some variables for new codecs based on their data rates. :)

Micha

Return to posts index

Chad Pearson
on Sep 29, 2014 at 7:57:46 pm

While recording, my Hyperdeck Studio and Studio Pro both have a countdown on the upper right hand side of the LCD screen saying how much time is remaining. Though it only does that while recording.

Return to posts index

Micha McLain
on Sep 29, 2014 at 8:02:44 pm
Last Edited By Micha McLain on Sep 29, 2014 at 8:03:20 pm

Maybe I need to update my firmware on those devices. Either way, it's a fun tool. It's also good for estimating long events to determine how many drives you may need or total storage. I just did a three day event and this tool was awesome to give me near exact media requirements for us and the the client to know how much storage to expect to need.

Micha

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]