FORUMS: list search recent posts

Feedback on Teradex 2D

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Dunford
Feedback on Teradex 2D
on Aug 27, 2014 at 12:20:38 pm

Using Compressor 4.1 as a cost effective conversion tool for 1080p29.97 to 1080p25....BUT...we have to compromise on image quality because the Best setting produces too much image warping/morphing on fast movement and the Better setting gives frame blending.
I'd like to know how the 2D results look with this type of standards conversion. I checked the manual and there are variable amounts of motion compensation available. But trying to get actual results without buying the kit seems difficult.

Return to posts index

Craig RussillRoy
Re: Feedback on Teradex 2D
on Aug 27, 2014 at 7:23:11 pm

Hey Rob,

We use T2D everyday for all Broadcast work, I went T2D as it has clean cut and rock solid conversions, software is not there yet but will be 1 day ...

Compressor is in no ways the way to go for 2997 to 25 and I have spent years looking at Episode, Tachyon, Flip Factory, Vantage and Open Source, Software is going to get there but as of today we make money on the T2D hell we have 6 in the UK and 6 in Miami and the guys are in use all the time !

I have a video I did for BMD

Please note i do not get paid from BMD, hope this helps ! to answer your question re motion compensation it depends on the material ie Sport or Dram, but you can test it out ...

GB Labs 60TB SPACE
FCP 7.0.3
FCPX 10.1.2
3 x 4TB Thunderbolt R4
VC100
6 x 2D teranes 2D
4 x BMD Express
3 x ioXT
MicroHub
Ultrascope
SmartView

Check out the free iBook broadcast delivery 101 on itunes

Return to posts index

Frank Gothmann
Re: Feedback on Teradex 2D
on Sep 7, 2014 at 9:51:28 am

It depends what you need it to do. With higher frame rates and interlaced content it does a good job (not perfect).
On the hardware side, Snell's Alchemist and Kudos converters give superior output but cost a lot more.
One the software side, Tachyon and Alchemist OD give superior output (also cost more)

With slow frame rate conversions (24-25 etc.) it has very noticable problems and wouldn't pass very demanding QC.
All hardware converters have problems there, you're only option is either speedup or, if that's not acceptable Tachyon or Alchemist OD.

Reverse Pulldown, depending on your source footage, can also create problems sometimes. Here, Tachyon shines.

For the price, is is a very, very good converter. But don't expect miracles. If you need to create a transparent conversion from 1080 23.98psf to PAL SD (for DVD for example) and you're in the feature film business... forget it.

------
"You also agree that you will not use these products for... the development, design, manufacture or production of nuclear, missiles, or chemical or biological weapons."
iTunes End User Licence Agreement

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]