FORUMS: list search recent posts

recording and editing PS3 gameplay videos?

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jack Spicer
recording and editing PS3 gameplay videos?
on Aug 26, 2014 at 8:37:37 pm

Hello. I am planning on undertaking this as more of a hobby. I know there are various capture devices that is able to record gameplay videos. However, I am leaning towards the Intensity Shuttle for Thunderbolt as I have a Mac. The software I use to edit videos with is FCPX. I also have the latest version of Compressor 4. As for the hardware setup, my Mac is a Mac Mini with an Intel Core i7 quad-core processor, 1TB 5400 RPM HDD, and stock 4GB of RAM. At first, I was going to choose the Uncompressed format to record and edit the gameplay footage. I was told that I might need either a RAID disk array with 4 bays or a fast SSD to capture in this format. I was going to invest a lot of money for this hobby, but I was advised by people over at MacRumors that capturing in Uncompressed would be a waste of time and effort, since all of my video source material will be compressed already at the time of capturing. They also recommended that I use Apple ProRes, since FCPX loves this codec and that ProRes quality will be indistinguishable from "Uncompressed" and will also save so much more disk storage space when compared to uncompressed.

Here is a link to a documentation from Apple:
https://documentation.apple.com/en/finalcutpro/professionalformatsandworkfl...

I have decided to use Apple ProRes instead of uncompressed since I was convinced, advised, and recommended.

I was wondering if I will need an external hard drive to use as a scratch disk or can I use my main system drive as my scratch disk to capture and edit? My hard drive still has a little over 800GB left on it.

As for the connections from the PS3 to the Intensity, I will be using Component cables instead of HDMI due to HDCP. Which one will be best, optimal, or recommended: Component cables or HDMI?

Please help me. Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]