FORUMS: list search recent posts

Teranex signal uprez vs. DaVinci file uprez

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ray Kowalchuk
Teranex signal uprez vs. DaVinci file uprez
on Jul 30, 2014 at 4:16:57 pm

I'm keeping it a BMD product feature comparison but feel free to weigh in on other hardware or software.

I've got a video tape library that goes back 40 years and a film library that goes back 80 years. Our job of managing media assets digitally has arisen over the past few years and we have looked at various strategies for digitally archiving our assets. My concern as an editor are somewhat different; yes, I want everything safely backed up and if it's not logged and searchable a footage library is near useless. Our 1" footage from the 70s has been transferred to Betacam SP and some SD production is still being recorded.

Once I find an asset I need I know I will be incorporating it into an HD timeline on my Avid Media Composer, making creative decisions on whether I leave the shot in its 4:3 aspect with pillars or zoom and reframe 16:9. The more technology working to improve the quality of the SD footage will determine how realistic an option reframing, stabilization and general blending with HD footage might be.

In other forums I have had archivists stress that media should be archived in its original format, frame rate, interlace and aspect ratio. We have considered using a Teranex to uprez all of our SD tapes to HD-SDI for ingest; this gives us a few more creative options for reframing or edge-stretching, but "creativity" is probably not going to be part of our massive ingest project. More likely, after shots are captured and logged in SD will come a day when I will search and discover a shot I want to mix into an HD sequence. With a Teranex, I can source the original tape and uprez the shot, selecting the best method of reframing or edge-stretching according the the content (and intent). This means that I need to keep my tape library around, as well as Betacam SP and DVCAM decks and ingest hardware.

It has been suggested to me that while hardware uprez of video SIGNALS is currently the more robust solution for uprez from SD to HD (or UltraHD), the file-based future will demand great strides in software uprez of already ingested FILES. BMD's Davinci Resolve apparently already has a decent ability to uprez footage in the finishing process. Perhaps somebody who is familiar with both could enlighten me with a comparison? Shall I capture all SD for archive, retire my decks and put tapes in deep archive with the confidence that I can uprez at the software level?

(Somewhat related: In a current project I have HD footage from a camera locked off on a tripod for an hour long event; the producer wishes that the cameraman had zoomed in much closer. As we shop for a Teranex I'm leaning towards the Express rather than 2D or 3D so such HD situations could be uprezzed to UltraHD. Avid doesn't yet work in UltraHD frame sizes, but WOULD allow me to do the pan and zoom required by the above mentioned producer...)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]