FORUMS: list search recent posts

Major issues w/ Ultrastudio 4K

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad Bussé
Major issues w/ Ultrastudio 4K
on Jun 3, 2014 at 2:28:09 am

I've been running an UltraStudio 4K off of a 2013 Mac Pro and it's been working beautifully the past couple of weeks. Then I started working on sound design in Audition and as the project got heavier it stopped responding. I did permissions check, file system check, cron job maintenance, power cycling. After all that I can now open Audition, but when I try to open the last 4 versions of the project it crashes. One time it said that it cannot read the disk (I checked and my media disk was working fine). Then Premiere started with issues. Choppy playback, sometimes when opening my project, when I hit play suddenly I'd be at the login screen for OS X. Also, in Premiere I'm getting a very high pitched rattle on my right channel reference monitor. Swapping cables on my mixer switched to the other monitor. And exporting a .mov from Premiere resulted in a clean playback through my reference monitors, it's only in Premiere.

I just restarted in Safe mode and can open the latest version of my Audition project, but can't work in safe mode because it can't map to any audio hardware i/o.

Any suggestions? I have the latest firmware and drivers, and the latest update to Mavericks.

Return to posts index

Brad Bussé
Re: Major issues w/ Ultrastudio 4K
on Jun 4, 2014 at 7:53:49 pm

BMD Support said some other users have had similar audio issues and rolling back worked for them. I rolled back to 10.0 but it didn't resolve the problems, so I'll wait for the next driver/firmware and disconnected the US4K for now.

Regarding the visual glitches in Premiere (like solid color horizontal lines in renders), that turns out to be related to an issue introduced with OS 10.9.3, mostly for users of d700 nMPs.

Return to posts index

Darren Kelly
on Jun 5, 2014 at 2:10:22 pm

Brad,

I am having issues playing back 4K video.

I am using a Hackintosh that have specs that are close to the new Mac Pro's. An i7 4770K, a 4 GB video card - the GTX 760, 16GB RAM and a 6 drive RAID that has a throughput of over 900mbs. I am running 10.9.3

I am shooting with the BMD 4K camera.

I frequently get a stutter playback with dropped frames.

Does the Ultrastudio 4K solve any playback issues?

I can't find a thread anywhere where people talk about the two cards as working, and as the 4K camera has so many bigs and no firmware releases anywhere close to being released..... I am afraid of giving them more money for something that may not work.

Darren

Return to posts index

Brad Bussé
on Jun 10, 2014 at 12:45:44 am

Sorry, I can't speak specifically to 4K projects since I'm primarily working with 1080/60p source mastered to 1080/30 at the moment. But I can say that with 10.9.2 the UltraStudio 4K worked great. When I upgraded to 10.9.3 it broke compatability with drivers for both the Ultrastudio and Adobe CC OpenCL support.

Last I checked, the 7xx series of the GTX cards weren't yet supported on Macs for Adobe CC compatability. Also, last I checked the x6x series isn't supported, you need a minimum of x7x series.

Return to posts index

Brad Bussé
on Jun 10, 2014 at 1:06:13 am

If you're running 10.9.3, either rollback to 10.9.2 or disable GPU support in Adobe apps and unhook your UltraStudio 4K until firmware/driver fixes are out from Adobe and BMD.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]