FORUMS: list search recent posts

Looking for Video capture device 2560 x 1600 DVI-DL input.

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Ainscough
Looking for Video capture device 2560 x 1600 DVI-DL input.
on Apr 10, 2014 at 11:00:09 pm

I've searched wide and far, but I can't seem to find anyone that offers a video capture device (for Windows based OS) that accepts DVI-DL input and will capture at 2560 x 1600 or 2560 x 1440 on up to UHD. Heck I'd even accept something that could convert the DVI-DL to SDI but not sure anything exists.

I primarily need something to record PC video output (usually flight simulation) to another PC. I've used same PC recorders such as FRAPS and they work fine, but they induce a significant overhead when recording at 2560 x 1600 30 fps or 60 fps which reduces the frame rate of the simulator.

Soooo, I thought it would be an easy task to simply pick up a video capture device Y out the DVI-DL cable to a 2nd PC that will then do all the video capture leaving the main simulation PC to do it's thing with no performance hit.

My quest has come up short ... lots of video capture cards but none that support DVI-DL input, most are simple 1080 (do people still output from a PC at 1080 these days?). Anyway, seems to be a void of devices so I'm seeking suggestions here.

Thanks, Rob.

Return to posts index

EricBowen
Re: Looking for Video capture device 2560 x 1600 DVI-DL input.
on Apr 15, 2014 at 5:09:11 pm

Well you can use HDMI since DVI-D converts to HDMI but the software has to support the resolution your looking at. SDI would be another option but then you need to get a converter. Why cant you output from the PC system via HDMI at 4K resolution and then just record it that way?

Eric-ADK
Tech Manager
support@adkvideoediting.com

Return to posts index

Rob Ainscough
on Apr 30, 2014 at 11:47:15 pm

Thanks for the response Erik,

All the capture devices I've found seem to only support 1080 via HDMI input?

Also, I need to be able to view the output on my main monitor (which only supports DVI-D) while I'm recording it to another PC ... I don't think my video card (nVidia Titan) will output to DVI-D AND duplicate the signal on the HDMI out port so it can be recorded by another PC containing a capture card/device?

For example the Motu HD Express or HDX or even the V4HD will support HDMI input, and will output via HDMI but none of them list the ability to record at 2K or 4K resolutions, only basic HD 1080 formats.

Cheers, Rob.

Return to posts index

EricBowen
on May 1, 2014 at 6:59:50 pm
Last Edited By EricBowen on May 1, 2014 at 7:01:38 pm

You can setup the DVI and HDMI display's as mirror to duplicate the output The problem is the resolution has to be the same. That would limit your resolution options off the HDMI port on the Titan card if you went DVI and HDMI. However if your Titan card has a Displayport then you can run Displayport and HDMI at 4K. You just need to get a 4K display. The Blackmagic 4K Extreme should handle 4K on the HDMI input but I have not verified that with Blackmagic. You would want to call and ask their support. The SDI would but then you would have to get a HDMI to SDI converter. The best option may be to output the DVI-D and get a DVI to SDI converter. However the software on the capture system would have to recognize the 2.5K resolution. Have you looked at getting a 4K screen and trying screen capture software off that?

Eric-ADK
Tech Manager
support@adkvideoediting.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]