FORUMS: list search recent posts

Essential equipment for broadcasting video to web

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kim Krohn Berle
Essential equipment for broadcasting video to web
on Mar 21, 2014 at 12:43:21 pm

Hi,

I am looking for a "3 camera live-web-stream broadcast" solution and wondering if BlackMagic ATEM Television Studio with accessories and Black Magic Production Camera's is a good option? We have a lit studio with greenscreen, so we also want the possiblity to do live chromakeying.

What essential equipment is necessary to get started?

Kim.

Return to posts index

Chad Pearson
Re: Essential equipment for broadcasting video to web
on Mar 21, 2014 at 7:41:29 pm

Personally I wouldn't use the TVS or the Blackmagic Cinema Camera. The lack of AUX outputs, DVE and analog audio input on the TVS makes it less than ideal. The ATEM Production 4K is the "replacement" for the TVS and fixed the AUX and analog audio limitations, though still no DVE (ie. Picture in Picture). If you need picture in picture then go a step up to the Production 1M/E 4k (don't bother with the orignal ATEM 1M/E, you'll avoid a lot of overheating and adapter hassles)

As for the cameras the Cinema camera is not meant for live studio's either. It's designed for shooting hollywood style movies, and requires jumping through hoops to even get it compatible with any of the ATEM switchers. In my opinion there are 2 options, if you are mostly using fixed shots, get cheap HDMI cameras and use HDMI->SDI converters to bring them into the ATEM, and if you are using manned shots get a camera with native SDI output like the Canon XA25, the Sony HXR-NX5U, or Panasonic HPX250

Return to posts index

Kim Krohn Berle
Re: Essential equipment for broadcasting video to web
on Mar 23, 2014 at 2:23:35 pm

Hi Chad,

great info! ATEM 1 M/E Production Studio 4K looks a lot more tempting, but do you know if the Studio 4K is limited to only 1 "Picture in Picture"?

I thought of the BMPC 4K because it has SDI, high resolution and beyond broadcast minimum 50 Mbps, and can potentially be used in our future Ad Commercial productions (interchangeable lens/RAW 4K/Rec 709/etc.). But the audio limitations are maybe too great for studio work. Is Sony FDR-AX1 a good option, as well as Panasonic HPX250?

Thanks for reply!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]