FORUMS: list search recent posts

What systems & Software can you edit footage from BM 4K camera

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Darren Kelly
What systems & Software can you edit footage from BM 4K camera
on Feb 28, 2014 at 6:27:38 pm

The company I work for is considering purchasing this camera, and we are wondering what systems and software you can edit this footage on.

Can you use a PC? If so, what software?
Can you use a Mac? If so what software?

We will most likely want to down rez the footage in some situations to 1080p. What software an on what operating system is this possible?

Thanks for you help!

Darren

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: What systems & Software can you edit footage from BM 4K camera
on Mar 1, 2014 at 5:02:23 pm

I believe you are limited to Premiere Pro, or transcoding through Resolve to something for the other boxes.

(not sure about fcpx)

Glenn

Return to posts index

Darren Kelly
on Mar 1, 2014 at 11:58:37 pm

Premiere Pro CC doesn't show a preset for any 4K footage except RED.

I understand you can edit it in FCPX.

The BlackMagic site shows it is compatible with windows and OSX, and shows compatibility with Avid, Premiere and FCPX, but I can't find anything to prove that.

Does anyone own one of these cameras, do they work, and how do you edit it?

Thanks

Darren

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Mar 2, 2014 at 6:07:46 am

I think that compatibility matrix would depend on what you are shooting. If you are recording some prores version of the camera, or shooting then transcoding, then sure, compatibility is fine...but i have seen nothing to indicate the raw files can be imported or ama'd into Avid.

Theres a lot of companies marketing like this now...you have to be very diligent in your research.

Glenn

Return to posts index

EricBowen
on Mar 3, 2014 at 6:44:07 pm

The Presets are just for ease of use. Premiere on Windows supports 4K DNG media fine after the update. Those Presets just really set the editing aspect ratio, framerate, and default preview setting which is the Adobe Iframe codec. Beyond that you can use those for any media that Premiere supports natively such as DNxHD on an AVCIntra sequence for example. The PC system will have far better configuration options for the price which means better performance overall if you use the same budget for both especially since Cuda performs better than Open CL right now in Adobe.

Eric
ADK

Eric-ADK
Tech Manager
support@adkvideoediting.com

Return to posts index

Darren Kelly
on Mar 8, 2014 at 2:15:19 pm

After a conversation with Tech support at BMD, if you download and install the camera's drivers, presets appear in Premiere, and any other software you might be using.

We ordered the camera, and I hope to be playing with it next week as I get ready for a shoot this summer.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]