FORUMS: list search recent posts

Inexpensive reference monitor for broadcast work?

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Darren McPhee
Inexpensive reference monitor for broadcast work?
on Feb 26, 2014 at 8:42:51 am

I just got a Decklink Mini and am in the hunt for an inexpensive reference monitor to use for broadcast safe color grading. I've heard that a good plasma tv can work well as a reference monitor but there are so many out there, how can I be sure I'm getting the right one? What criteria should I consider when narrowing down my selection? Or is there a better option than plasma?

Thanks,
Darren

Return to posts index

Ian MacLean
maclean161@gmail.com
on Apr 15, 2014 at 4:15:47 am

I'm in the same boat. I have an Intensity Pro card I've never plugged in, but it's limited to 8 bit, and the Decklink mini monitor should be 10 bit out via HDMI. I'm not sure whether that will make any difference, but hope it will. I want a reference image with YCbCr (digital rec 709, if I understand it correctly) in the path somewhere, and expect this will be worthwhile if the only other thing I see is my work on a computer monitor.

So I'd also like to figure out the best monitor option I can for a limited budget. But I don't want plasma. I think the guys who know this stuff are already on really pricey rec 2020 calibrated monitors, and so couldn't really help us if they wanted to.

I came across this and need to confirm it, but hope it helps:

"Any recent vintage consumer LCD or LED TV that is specified as HDMI 1.3 or 1.4 XYCC deep color compatible is a true 10 bit display. My personal preference is LG's as they have a built in calibration wizard and expert mode that is quite good and will get you as close as they come to accurate by eye without a calibration meter. In the US they are Imaging Science Foundation certified for color accuracy when calibrated. The TV is true 10 bit, 1.07 billion colors."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]