FORUMS: list search recent posts

BMCC -> Decklink Quad -> MediaExpress ... &&^%$#!@... MediaExpress -> Decklink Quad -> ATEM TV Studio

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Den Raphaely
BMCC -> Decklink Quad -> MediaExpress ... &&^%$#!@... MediaExpress -> Decklink Quad -> ATEM TV Studio
on Feb 15, 2014 at 1:21:02 am

I am admittedly a newbie, but who would have thought?
* A Black Magic Cinema Camera clip can be captured via Decklink Quad to Media Express
* A clip in MediaExpress can be played via Decklink Quad to ATEM Studio
BUT a clip captured by BMCC can never be output to ATEM Studio! There simply isn't a compatible format/frame-rate [BMCC->MediaExpress]->[MediaExpress-ATEM]

Richard at BMD suggests Terranex ($2K) or a NLE (Avid, most likely as I am on PC) of which I have no experience. My application(in interpersonal interaction research) requires recording and immediate playback with the normal minimal transport control, such as provided by MediaExpress.

What say the COW mavens re the best way to go?

Return to posts index

Den Raphaely
Re: BMCC -> Decklink Quad -> MediaExpress ... &&^%$#!@... MediaExpress -> Decklink Quad -> ATEM TV Studio
on Feb 15, 2014 at 1:47:40 am

[Update]
This from BMD Terranex manual - "To use your Terranex as a high end capture and playback solution, simply connect it to Mac OS or Windows computer using a Thunderbolt cable."
Sounds like a fine idea, except there is no Thunderbolt interface in the PC world.

Return to posts index

EricBowen
Re: BMCC -> Decklink Quad -> MediaExpress ... &&^%$#!@... MediaExpress -> Decklink Quad -> ATEM TV Studio
on Feb 17, 2014 at 7:03:09 pm

The Z87 boards and some Haswell laptops have Thunderbolt. This is an Intel technology and not Apple.

Eric-ADK
Tech Manager
support@adkvideoediting.com

Return to posts index

Chad Pearson
on Feb 15, 2014 at 1:52:40 am

The Cinema camera by default is 1080p, the TVS or any pre-4k mixer only supports up to 1080i. In the more recent firmware version of the cinema camera if you go into the menu and set the recording format to 29.97 (or 25 if PAL) and set overlays to Off then the camera will output a 1080i signal compatible with your ATEM TVS

Return to posts index

Den Raphaely
on Feb 15, 2014 at 2:12:51 am

Thanks for the response.

>> In the more recent firmware version of the cinema camera if you go into the menu and set the recording format to 29.97 (or 25 if PAL) and set overlays to Off...
That is my BMCC setting, but I don't see a compatible setting in MediaExpress. Are you suggesting that save the file to some other program?

Return to posts index

Sarah Jones
on Feb 15, 2014 at 2:25:39 am

Hi Den,

The feature Chad is referring to is related to the SDI output on the Blackmagic Cinema Camera, not the Thunderbolt output. If you would like to connect the SDI of the camera directly to the SDI input on the ATEM, the steps Chad lists are relevant. If you are using Media Express to capture clips over Thunderbolt, this will always be a progressive capture in the frame rate your camera is set to record to.

If you are looking to playback clips that were recorded on the Cinema Camera through some sort of I/O that connects to the ATEM, you will need to adjust the video format through either a hardware solution, like the Teranex Richard mentioned, or a software solution, like an NLE.

In regards to the Teranex's Thunderbolt connection to a Windows system, if you head over to the Products page on ThunderboltTechnology.net, you'll note that there are several Windows systems currently available with Thunderbolt built-in. This is not a Mac-only technology any longer.

Regards,

Sarah
Support Representative
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

Den Raphaely
on Feb 15, 2014 at 3:02:14 am

Thanks for response.

>> The feature Chad is referring to is related to the SDI output on the Blackmagic Cinema Camera, not the Thunderbolt output. If you would like to connect the SDI of the camera directly to the SDI input on the ATEM,
Yes, I have no problem directly connecting BMCC -> ATS on SDI.

>> If you are looking to playback clips that were recorded on the Cinema Camera through some sort of I/O that connects to the ATEM, you will need to adjust the video format through either a hardware solution, like the Teranex Richard mentioned, or a software solution, like an NLE.
In this case the I/O is Decklink. And, yes, this I believe is the fork in the road I posed at the head of the thread.

Right now I am thinking that I would consume the difference between Teranex and NLE (about $1k) in time learning how to use the NLE. So if I go hardware (Teranex), then it looks to me that the workflow is
BMCC (some format) -> Teranex (some down-converted format that both Media Express & ATS will take) -> Decklink -> MediaExpress -> Decklink -> ATS.
Will that work?

Return to posts index

Den Raphaely
on Feb 18, 2014 at 12:37:57 am
Last Edited By Den Raphaely on Feb 18, 2014 at 12:40:17 am

Sorry, Sarah, I missed the Thunderbolt para the first time through...

>> In regards to the Teranex's Thunderbolt connection to a Windows system, if you head over to the Products page on ThunderboltTechnology.net, you'll note that there are several Windows systems currently available with Thunderbolt built-in. This is not a Mac-only technology any longer.<<

The problem isn't finding Thunderbolt peripherals that can work on a Windows platform, but the issued Intel has getting manufacturers to integrate it as a possibility. For instance - http://news.cnet.com/8301-11386_3-57593706-76/intels-thunderbolt-remains-hi...

In my case, a HPZ420 workstation (a BMD-approved system)is still awaiting HP's release of the T/bolt PCIe card -- supposedly any day now, but vaporware until then) So, attaching Teranex via T/bolt is still a dream.

This shouldn't matter in my case as Decklink supposedly has a 10Gbs transfer rate, so
BMCC -> Teranex -> Decklink -> MediaExpress will work as well.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]