FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ultrastudio 4k/ Media Express machine control questions

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
Ultrastudio 4k/ Media Express machine control questions
on Jan 14, 2014 at 3:49:30 pm

Embarrassingly noobish question: New iMac, Ultrastudio 4K, and a Panasonic DVCProHD deck. We're connected to the 4k with thunderbolt, and connected via SDI between the deck and the box.

We can see signal passing thru the screen of the 4K and on the desktop thru the Media Express application, but were assuming you could get machine control via the SDI connection to the deck. Is that not right? Do we need to use the machine control port? Or is there a menu change needed in the deck?

We went looking for machine control menus in the media Express application and didn't find any. Yet some of the on-screen controls only make logical sense if there was machine control available.

What did I forget?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Ultrastudio 4k/ Media Express machine control questions
on Jan 14, 2014 at 10:26:57 pm

SFX (Crickets).

NOBODY does machine control with the 4K?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Ultrastudio 4k/ Media Express machine control questions
on Jan 17, 2014 at 3:11:08 pm

Anybody home?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Ultrastudio 4k/ Media Express machine control questions/ partly answered
on Jan 21, 2014 at 7:42:30 pm

OK, I think I have at least part of this solved. We did connect the RS 422A machine control cable, between the 4K and the deck, but we still didn't have any control thru media Express... UNTIL I went into the Panasonic's menus and changed the setting on Item 05 "encoder select" to "Both".

I now have very smooth machine control and after marking clip in and out points, hit the "clip" button, and it will back-time the deck, play forwards, and capture to disk from tape. Just like downtown!

STILL have one *teensy* issue, which is that we can't seem to be able to write info into any of the the data entry fields of Media Express for logging purposes. Nothing you try to type into the name or description fields stays. Does anybody have some guidance on that? I'm sure it's just that I'm missing some step, but it's not very clear what that is.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]