FORUMS: list search recent posts

4 GoPro's - 1 Screen?

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shane McGee
4 GoPro's - 1 Screen?
on Jan 12, 2014 at 5:58:24 am

Is there any device Blackmagic Design makes that could accomplish this? Or at least some sort of similar configuration?

Here is the scenario: We have set up 4 GoPro's to record from different angles. Client wants to be able to watch all GoPro angles (preferably on one big screen or projector) while the action is going on. I just not familiar with this type of thing, as I usually record, edit and deliver later.

For the time being we are planning a simplified, yet complicated way of accomplishing this by getting 4 small TV Monitors and hooking them up to the GoPro's with long HDMI cables (50FT or so). This is obviously not ideal, so I was just curious if there was a better way.

Even if its prohibitively expensive, I'm still curious for future reference.

Thanks!

15" MacBook Pro Quad Core i7 2.0GHz
1TB G-RAID
Final Cut Pro X
Canon T2i

Return to posts index

EricBowen
Re: 4 GoPro's - 1 Screen?
on Jan 13, 2014 at 4:40:48 pm

Atem unit with the Multiview monitor would probably be the cheapest solution.

Eric-ADK
Tech Manager
support@adkvideoediting.com

Return to posts index

Chad Pearson
on Jan 13, 2014 at 9:50:32 pm

What you are looking for is called a Multiviewer. Most video switchers nowadays have one built in (like the ATEM series), however you have to be careful with the GoPro's HDMI output as they can be finicky to get the right format into the ATEM. If you do a search for "GoPro ATEM" you'll see what I mean.

Return to posts index

Jim Brown
on Jan 14, 2014 at 3:10:23 am

Well you did not mention a budget or size of desired monitor screen. But, here are some of my experiences with these cameras.

I have used 4 GoPro3 in a similar setup. Had them connected to an ATEM switcher. Use a Matrox QuadView (995.00) to display all cameras onto a single display.. You will have to convert the HDMI out of the GoPro to HD-SDI. Black Magic has converters. There are many on the market, but BMD is my experience. BTW, you will find the voltage levels out of the GoPro are very low and therefore will not support even the best long HDMI cables. You will need converters. This is the source of most peoples frustration in working with these cameras.

When you connect the cameras, I suspect they will be running for quite some time. Remove the battery and use a USB powered charger (i.e. iPhone charger). If you do not remove the battery it will overheat.

With the model 3 cameras you can run them in 1080i or 720p mode. In 720p you can choose among all three zoom ranges while in 1080i you only get zoom and wide out.

Hope this helps.

Jim Brown
M & M Productions USA

Jim Brown
M & M Productions USA
Oak Ridge, TN

Return to posts index

John Knowles
on Jan 14, 2014 at 6:57:46 am

Have you played with the iOS app for the GoPros? The latest update allows you to monitor the cameras during recording (though with a 3-5 second delay) via their wifi signal.

I know that doesn't help you in your situation but if your clients didn't *need* to see a composite of all 4 angles on one monitor then you could just set up 4 iPads next to each other with the GoPro app running and each iPad logged onto a different camera (could even mount them with velcro). 4 iPads won't be cheap, but you would also avoid long HDMI cable runs from those cameras and having to get a switcher or separate monitors, so maybe it would balance out.

JVK

Return to posts index

David McLasty
on Feb 28, 2014 at 7:56:48 pm

Go pick up an Evertz VIP. It's your best bet. I have one running in my edit suite and it's never failed me. When paired with Vista Link it's really the only solution worth anything out there.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]