FORUMS: list search recent posts

Decklink HD Extreme, Desktop Video and FCPX - Monitor Troubles

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Wiggins
Decklink HD Extreme, Desktop Video and FCPX - Monitor Troubles
on Jan 8, 2014 at 2:33:32 pm

I have an old Decklink HD Extreme that sits in my Mid 2010 Mac Pro running Mavericks 10.9. I recently bought FCPX and have been trying for a while now to get FCPX to feed video to my Panasonic broadcast monitor using BM's Desktop Video. Currently the only version of Desktop Video that will work across the board (with AE, FCP7, Davinci) is 8.0.1. But it's an older version that doesn't support FCPX.

When I try updating to the latest and greatest 9.9.3, I get absolutely no sound or video from my Blackmagic output. No iTunes, no System sound, no apps, no nothing. Frustrated, I downloaded and installed various previous versions all the way back to 9.7ish. Nothing worked. I've never been able to get any monitoring form FCPx and its driving me a little bonkers.

I've seen older threads with similar problems, but with no solutions from Blackmagic or Apple. It seems Blackmagic has been trying to fix the issues with recent updates with mixed success.

Am I missing something? Is my Decklink HD Extreme just outdated? Should I just keep waiting for new updates?

I would love to hear input from others on this.

Thanks,
Matt

Return to posts index

Chee Wee Tan
Re: Decklink HD Extreme, Desktop Video and FCPX - Monitor Troubles
on Jan 20, 2014 at 8:39:10 am

For this card, i think the last version BMD include any working driver is 9.5.3. After that, they had said somewhere they are no longer writing any driver for it.

Any new software such as Premiere Pro CC, Resolve 10, FCP X 10.1 can't use the card at all.

Even the same driver use in Mavericks, FCP 7 output via SDI got lipsync problem.

Sigh....

Budget always not enuff.
http://www.dogbonepost.com

Return to posts index

Matt Wiggins
on Jan 20, 2014 at 2:59:20 pm

Sigh indeed.

Thanks for the info.

So, if I were to purchase the newer Decklink SDI card, would I still have the same issues? If not, what DOES work with Mavericks and FCPX on a Mid 2010 Mac Pro??? Is there a peripheral device BMD makes that replaces the need for a PCIe card on an older Mac Pro?

Return to posts index

Chee Wee Tan
on Jan 20, 2014 at 3:21:38 pm

Basically have to buy their new decklink card that works with the new drivers, that's all what it boils down to...

Budget always not enuff.

Return to posts index

Matt Wiggins
on Jan 28, 2014 at 3:42:08 pm

Thanks, I just bought a new Decklink mini monitor. Hopefully it solves all of my issues. I'll try and post an update after I install it.

Return to posts index

Chee Wee Tan
on Jan 28, 2014 at 6:20:44 pm

Oh yes, do post the result. I am interested to get the mini as well.

Budget always not enuff.

Return to posts index

Matt Wiggins
on Jan 30, 2014 at 3:08:35 pm

So I installed the mini monitor card, and did a couple of software updates last night and eureka! it works!

FCPX 10.1.1 , Resolve 10.1, and AE CS5 work flawlessly with my panasonic BT-LH1710W LCD monitor.

I also noticed a pretty substantial improvement in playback speed out of Resolve. With my old school Decklink HD Extreme, playback of Blackmagic Pocket Cam RAW DNG files was pretty sluggish (5-17fps), and now it seems to playback at 28-30 fps. The files are stored on a Lacie 4TB hooked in thru esata cable.

I'm just assuming that the Decklink improved the speed, but it may be the recent Resolve update that fixed that issue.

So I'm pretty happy with this mini monitor. Best of all, it was 130 bucks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]