FORUMS: list search recent posts

Intensity Shuttle TB with MB Pro 2012 ...Problem with recording

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Al Bergstein
Intensity Shuttle TB with MB Pro 2012 ...Problem with recording
on Jan 6, 2014 at 9:36:59 pm
Last Edited By Al Bergstein on Jan 6, 2014 at 10:14:21 pm

I thought I had posted this before, but anyway: I have a TB Intensity Shuttle. I am running Media Express 3.2.4 (just upgraded and having the same problem as the earlier version was experiencing). Running Mac OS 10.8.5 w/16 GBs RAM. Output to a USB 3.0 drive.

My client has a copy of a professionally produced SD video done of his band from the 1980s that was transferred to DVD at some point. It is not the best copy. But when it is plugged directly into a monitor, it plays as smoothly as can be expected. No dropped frames or black outs, A bit of '
waveyness' to the image, but nothing I would describe as *out of the ordinary* for these kinds of copies. Totally watcheable.

When I plug into the TB Intensity Shuttle and try and even view the video, I get considerable breakup of the image, no matter what setting I set it to. I have tried virtually every setting, but might have missed one.

I have set the BM 9.3.3 System Prefs to either Composite or S-Video, it doesn't seem to matter. As mentioned, it plays *fine* on the direct SD monitor with either type of cable plugged in.

When I plug in the Intensity, I get lots of break up. dropped Audio and video.

It happens even when the video is paused.

Anyone have a clue what I might not be doing right here?

Here's an example of what I'm seeing. The password is blackmagic
http://vimeo.com/83534426

Al

Return to posts index

Chad Pearson
Re: Intensity Shuttle TB with MB Pro 2012 ...Problem with recording
on Jan 6, 2014 at 9:53:07 pm

That sounds a lot like Macrovision. What are you using for a TBC (time base corrector) on your player? Have you tried ripping the MPEG2 vob directly off the DVD? You should be able to get a bit for bit copy that way.

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Jan 6, 2014 at 10:19:52 pm
Last Edited By Al Bergstein on Jan 6, 2014 at 10:24:31 pm

I'll give it a try. I just hooked up my old BM Video recorder which uses USB and it works fine. So it's something with the Intensity (maybe the settings), TB and the Shuttle Software. My USB version is set to 720p and is set to "remove fields". But the problem on the Intensity doesn't look like a field removal problem, does it to you ?

I am not using anything more than a standard DVD player. A Yamaha DV-S5650. So no timecode other than what's native coming out of the DVD player.

Is there anyone out there using the Intensity with Thunderbolt on a standard DVD player output into a Mac and getting acceptable recording? If so, what settings are you using?

Al

Return to posts index

Chad Pearson
on Jan 6, 2014 at 10:59:09 pm

The good thing about DVD's are it's already a digital file. You shouldn't need to "capture" it at all. Just open the DVD on your computer as if it were a hard drive, and go through the "VIDEO_TS" folder looking for a .vob file. Copy it to your hard drive and rename the file extension to .mpg and you should be good to go. Unless the disc is copy protected it should be that simple.

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Jan 7, 2014 at 12:44:58 am

Thanks. Of Course. The issue is that it's a long concert, and I wanted to break the songs up from one long cut to many. I had used the BM devices for VHS tapes I had and just assumed that it would be better to use them to break up the DVDs. But I'll dump the video into Pr and cut it that way. I appreciate the reminder though! It still doesn't answer why the device is not functioning properly....(G)

Al

Return to posts index

Frank Harczuk
on Aug 24, 2014 at 10:51:59 am

Al did you ever get this resolved?

I think I have a similar problem. Disclaimer I am an amateur. I just got a Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt and have problems when I try to capture composite video/audio. The Media Express software that came with it just shows a black screen. These are all of my home movies so there should not be any copy protection. I tried 2 vcr's and 1 camcorder. These devices play fine in a tv monitor.

As a work around I have put the vcr's/camcorder through a DVD player (composite) then into the Blackmagic and then I am able to capture fine.

Years ago I have captured these movies on DVD but I want to do it again to get the best quality transfer and of course make sure my Blackmagic is working.

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Aug 24, 2014 at 4:28:49 pm

Frank. No. I have not been able to get it to work. According to BM tech, the accuracy of the VHS tapes in terms of head alignment etc is more critical with Intensity than with the cheaper but out of production Video Recorder. You can still buy the video recorders at:

http://www.amazon.com/Blackmagic-Design-H-264-Format-Recorder/dp/B001F8LIKM...

It's frustrating that I would pay more to get what is a professional device yet it can't outperform a cheaper consumer device made by the same company!

But at least I got it to work. The quality for my needs coming out of the cheaper Video Recorder is fine. I would loved to have had the better quality since some of this is archival, but it is what it is.

Al

Return to posts index

Frank Harczuk
on Aug 24, 2014 at 10:28:35 pm

Well i tried 2 vcr's and 1 camcorder are they all out of tune, I wonder how many 10 year old vcrs' are not out of tune.

it seems to me if someone is interested in capturing composite then the quality and gear are probably not in the best of shape.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]