FORUMS: list search recent posts

Any Matrox to Blackmagic switchers here?

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Knowles
Any Matrox to Blackmagic switchers here?
on Jan 3, 2014 at 10:59:22 pm

Running old hardware, trying to figure out what to do next. Mac Pro 1,1 with Matrox MXO2+MAX. Still using FCP7 for now, but also latest Adobe CC apps. Can't run both at same time with MXO2, need separate partitions/drives with different drivers. Also considering dipping my toe into FCPX waters.

I'm willing to switch to a Blackmagic device, if it will allow me to run FCP7, Adobe CC and (eventually) FCPX at the same time. Probably the Intensity Pro to start -- I may upgrade to another MPro tower with PCIe for the immediate future, then switch to the latest trashcan model and Thunderbolt down the road.

Any switchers out there who can share their experience? I haven't been using much of the capture or output features of the MXO2, nor have I had reason to monitor 5.1 sound with it. The only thing I'll really miss is the built-in MAX chip; not sure if the shorter H.264 encoding time is worth not having full NLE support.

TIA,
JVK

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: Any Matrox to Blackmagic switchers here?
on Jan 4, 2014 at 5:45:08 pm

I have an MXO2 with Max, which I used to use with Avid and FCP. Since i started into Resolve, i grabbed an extreme 3d a few years ago. I use this with Avid, Resolve, FCP and Premiere/After effects. Your box is older than mine, so i don't know if that would matter. I'm running Lion, as i usually avoid switching just because apple wants me to, so take that into consideration.

Also, as far as running them at the same time, you can't have both after effects and avid open at the same time, and have it auto switch the display. Sometimes it works, but for the most part, it is much more stable to exit the one program, to enable the second program. (they don't always share properly) You certainly don't need to do any drive partitioning, or anything like that.

That being said, Avid/Resolve is my main workflow. I don't use FCP too much any more, and Premiere even less, but i do have to launch them every now and then, so i know they do work, but i don't really put them through any kind of "stress test" anymore.

Glenn

Return to posts index

John Knowles
on Jan 4, 2014 at 8:06:05 pm

Thanks for your info, Glenn! In terms of "using at the same time", I just meant being able to use it with different NLEs on the same driver since the MXO2 can't output to both FCP7 and CC apps on the same one. Good to know about auto-switching the display though, as I plan to work with Premiere and AE open at the same time when dynamic-linking between them. Am I right that Resolve will NOT output to a monitor unless it's a Blackmagic device?

Do you miss the quicker compression with MAX at all?

JVK

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Jan 12, 2014 at 5:02:00 pm

Yes, blackmagic hardware only for resolve.

I never really used my mxo2 for encoding. It was purchased as purely an I/O device for tape sources, and i used it to record and preserve HD closed captioning a few times when master tapes had to be tweaked for what ever reason.

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]