FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ultrastudio 4K + 2014 Mac Pro = Not so good.

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bruce Colgate
Ultrastudio 4K + 2014 Mac Pro = Not so good.
on Jan 3, 2014 at 7:17:09 pm

Howdy.

So, without the Ultrastudio 4K connected to the trashcan (6core/16GB), FCPX flies. So responsive.

When I turn on "A/V Output", playback is fine for about 8-10 seconds, begins to stutter, and stops.

This is with 9.9.3 drivers. Performance is the same with either Better Performance or Better Quality enabled.

Soon as I turn off the BMD output, we're back to flyin'.

Is there an optimization that I've missed?

With thanks,

- Bruce Colgate

Return to posts index

Bruce Colgate
Re: Ultrastudio 4K + 2014 Mac Pro = Not so good.
on Jan 3, 2014 at 8:43:49 pm

More info: The issue seems focused on audio. If I disable audio playback thru the US4K, then Picture plays fine.

- Bruce Colgate

Return to posts index

Derek Nickell
on Jan 3, 2014 at 8:54:44 pm

Must be a software update coming soon from BMD.

--
Derek Nickell | OMPA, VFT | Editor, VFX, Colorist
Blue Brownie Post Production, Portland, OR O:503.922.2117

Return to posts index

Bruce Colgate
on Jan 4, 2014 at 7:21:07 am

Further searching on other boards seem to indicate this may be more of a Mavericks related issue, with other posters describing similar issues since late October, and they too say that when FCP (X or 7) routes the audio through "built-in", picture plays fine, and audio is also fine (though out of sync w BMD's output. Some have reported that 9.7.7 drivers fix the problem, others say no it doesn't.

When I called BMD tech support, they said they had not heard of this problem before, and didn't have any suggestions for a workaround.

I may have to put this $4K trashcan on the shelf until BMD gets this sorted out, which would be a real shame, or swap the I/O for a less capable, but presumably functional AJA box.

- Bruce Colgate

Return to posts index

Tim Donahue
on Jan 9, 2014 at 6:31:27 pm

I had a similar issue that I fixed by rolling back to 9.9.2. This was on an iMac with an Ultrastudio 4K, but it sounds like the same problems I was having with 9.9.3.

Return to posts index

Bruce Colgate
on Jan 11, 2014 at 4:10:11 pm

Thanks Tim, will give that a try on Monday.

- Bruce Colgate

Return to posts index

Brad Bussé
on Jan 14, 2014 at 7:50:46 am

Hey Bruce,

How did the rollback go? Have you had any issues capturing from the US4K at "standard HD" resolutions or any other sync issues? Have you tried playback with Premiere?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Bruce Colgate
on Jan 14, 2014 at 11:00:32 pm

Tim Donahue's suggestion was good. I uninstalled all BMD software from the Mac Pro Trashcan, and then installed 9.9.2. I've been working with 10.1 all day without any obvious issues. I would still like to do further testing, as I feel like the Mac Pro is sluggish compared to operating without the BMD, but I have no data to support that - just a feeling.

Not tested with PPRO. No capturing done yet. The room that it's currently in doesn't (normally) do capture.

BTW, in case anyone from BMD reads this, please, please - can't you guys find a quieter fan? The US4K is the loudest thing in the room. And you couldn't supply an AC cable for a $1000 piece of equipment? NBD, but still kinda lame.

- Bruce Colgate

Return to posts index

Mika Hudyma
on Feb 20, 2014 at 3:27:43 pm

Did you do any more testing with 9.9.2? I am running Ultrastudio w/ Thunderbolt on new Mac Pro and while the video works perfectly, having major audio issues in FCP7. It will work, albeit slightly out of sync, for a few seconds and then audio will drop out from timeline. Even when playing a QT audio file from QT player, the audio will drop out or scan forward through the timeline.

Any thoughts are appreciated. New machine is incredibly fast and stable with FCP7 and Apple Color, just wish the audio would work and then we'd have the perfect legacy solution.

Best,

M

Mika

Return to posts index

Bruce Colgate
on Feb 20, 2014 at 4:07:23 pm

Hi Mika,

We've had good results with 9.9.2, but not 9.9.3. Good, not great, because we *must* use audio routed to another device. Enabling the audio (selecting it in System Prefs) results in an unusable edit system, in that the system always chokes. As soon as we use either built-in (which actually sounds fine, and stays in sync) or our Presonus 1818VSL, everything is fine. And picture through the Ultrastudio 4K is fine also. Plays like a dream.

I am surprised that BMD has not released a fixed driver, since they seem to have known about it for some time. When I spoke with tech support in early January about this issue, the response was, "well, we're not getting our new Mac Pro for another month." Like I said, surprising.

Hopefully we'll see something soon - could be any day!

All the Best,

- Bruce Colgate

Return to posts index

Mika Hudyma
on Feb 20, 2014 at 4:30:20 pm

I've discovered the same with 9.9.2 and 9.9.3. The video is perfect, but in an edit in FCP7, the audio drops out after usually like 30 seconds. Sometimes, get a dropped frame warning. If I turn the warning off, the audio drops off just the same. The system audio works fine. Are you using any offset to handle this?

I hope they will fix it, but kind of cool to have FCP7 running on a relatively fast (and quiet) machine! Apple Color also screams and works perfectly with BMD, so a plus too.

Tech support hasn't been very helpful. One would think that FCP7 is important. Regardless of what anyone says, it's what half the world uses to edit commercially.

Thanks

M

Mika

Return to posts index

Bruce Colgate
on Feb 20, 2014 at 4:44:01 pm

Agreed. They are unusually quiet, but perhaps that's because they are putting all their effort into getting this fix done.

While we still like FCP7, we've moved on to FCPX after shunning it for the first 2 years. If you're still working in FCP7, it might be worth your while to start trying X, or MC7, or Premiere. I'm surprised 7 still works, frankly.

All the Best,

- Bruce Colgate

Return to posts index

Mika Hudyma
on Feb 20, 2014 at 5:02:24 pm

Thinking of switching to Avid. I find the lack of a real timeline maddening in X--and not having built in support for OMF is a real downer for the kind of work we do. Premiere frustrated me even more. Although, I do want to load x on new mac to see just how fast it is.

Are you using offset in FCP7? Just switched to 9.9.3 and with system output it works fine, but can't figure out what the offset is (or if I'll be able to sync at all).

M

Mika

Return to posts index

Greg Partridge
on Mar 19, 2014 at 8:36:02 pm

I posted this in another discussion about the same problem:

Here is my workaround for the audio sync problem using Final Cut Pro 7, Soundflower and Garageband.

- Download and install Soundflower
- In System Preferences select sound. Set output to headphones and input to Soundflower (2 Ch)
- In Final Cut 7 go to Audio/Video Settings and select:
Video Playback: Blackmagic HD 1080i 59.94 - 8 Bit (1920 x 1080)
Audio Playback: Soundflower (2Ch)
- Open Garageband and create a new track and engage the input monitoring button.
- In Garageband preferences go to the Audio/Midi tab and select:
Output Device: Built-In Output
Input Device: Soundflower (2Ch)
- On your Garageband audio track insert the AUDelay plug in and set the delay time for .15 seconds and 0% feedback. Also set the Dry/Wet Mix to 100%. The .15 sec delay compensates for the 4 frames the video lags behind the audio in Final Cut Using the Blackmagic video output.

Your Final Cut audio should now be routed through Garageband and be in sync with the video. You only have to set this up once. Just save the
Garageband session and run in the background while using Final Cut 7.

**Make sure your version of Blackmagic Design Desktop Video is 9.9.3 or lower. Version 10 completely crashes Final Cut 7.

Greg Partridge
tubecreative.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]