FORUMS: list search recent posts

Capture multiple cameras with media express

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andre van Berlo
Capture multiple cameras with media express
on Nov 30, 2013 at 9:01:40 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to figure out what to use for my setup>I want to record the hdmi out of 3-4 cams straight to my mac pro. I will use ultra studio mini recorders that go in the new mac pro and want to use media express to record the 3-4 different sources. Would this work or would i need different software/hardware?

I also have wirecast but I just found out you have to have a matrox card to do 4 separate recordings to SSD on my mac.

Does anyone have some experience with this?

Thanks, André

Return to posts index

Jim Sustacek
Re: Capture multiple cameras with media express
on Dec 3, 2013 at 3:23:03 pm

In my experience with Blackmagic Intensity products, Media Express could only run one instance, accessing one device.

Wirecast allows multiple instances, though, and each instance can be set up to access a different device.

Return to posts index

Andre van Berlo
on Dec 4, 2013 at 9:27:20 am

Thanks for your response Jim!

Wirecast allows multiple instances, though, and each instance can be set up to access a different device

Actually I own wirecast pro since a couple of days so this would be good news. Is the video quality of each camera capture as good as what I can record in the camera's internally on SD cards?

I remember Craig Seeman saying you can't do ISO recording with the ultra studio mini recorders so now I'm wondering what kind of quality you get. Do you know if you can record uncompressed hdmi out with wire cast (i know, wrong thread but i'm trying anyway :-)

André

Return to posts index

EricBowen
on Dec 4, 2013 at 5:54:36 pm

Media Express allows more than 1 instance but you have to launch it again each time by creating separate exe files for Media Express if I remember it correctly. Go into the Blackmagic folder and just rename the first EXE. Then copy and name the next 1 differently. I normally just named them 1 2 3 and so on. It's a little fuzzy because I havnt done it in a while but I believe that is how it's done. If not just call BM support and they will tell you.

Eric-ADK
Tech Manager
support@adkvideoediting.com

Return to posts index

Andre van Berlo
on Dec 4, 2013 at 6:33:49 pm

Hey Thanks Eric Bowen for chiming in!

I will try that approach, in my case it will probably be DMG files as I'm on a mac, not a windows machine :-)

First I'm awaiting the arrival of the new mac pro... :-D

Return to posts index

Jim Sustacek
on Dec 12, 2013 at 2:31:17 pm

[EricBowen] "Media Express allows more than 1 instance but you have to launch it again each time by creating separate exe files for Media Express if I remember it correctly. "

Just tried it on my Mac (duplicated the app to "Blackmagic Media Express copy"), started capturing each card separately, and it appears to work.

Could have sworn I tried this before and had issues, although maybe I am confusing it with Wirecast (I know Media Express won't work if Wirecast is open, etc.). If this indeed works, it's a much better solution than bmdcapture (for those looking for multiple captures but do not need streaming capabilities).

Return to posts index

Jim Sustacek
on Dec 12, 2013 at 2:24:25 pm

[Andre van Berlo] "Actually I own wirecast pro since a couple of days so this would be good news. Is the video quality of each camera capture as good as what I can record in the camera's internally on SD cards? "

In my experience, no. Recording through Wirecast gives a softer, fuzzier image than recording directly through Media Express.

A nice advanced solution (especially for scripting capture) is using the command line bmdtools utilities, specifically bmdcapture coupled with ffmpeg:
https://github.com/lu-zero/bmdtools

Downside to that is no GUI and no preview window, although you can stream the ffmpeg output to local RTP ports and monitor it using QuickTime Player or ffplay (with a 2-3 second delay).

Return to posts index

Andre van Berlo
on Dec 13, 2013 at 7:40:53 am

Thanks Jim Sustacek! I wanted to use the recording capability for direct recording of my tutorials to my SSD without the need of a hyperdeck. i would just use 3 ultra studio recorders + mac pro + wirecast, but since you mentioned that you get a fuzzy image with wirecast (at least compared to each other) I will definitely go with Media Express.

A nice advanced solution (especially for scripting capture) is using the command line bmdtools utilities, specifically bmdcapture coupled with ffmpeg:
https://github.com/lu-zero/bmdtools

I've checked the link but I'm not sure if I've got the necessary know-how to do this without screwing things up. I'll try the multiple instances of ME first I think. I will keep your suggestion in mind though as it might give me better options in the near future.

Return to posts index

Andrew Okunev
on May 19, 2014 at 3:25:28 pm

Guys,

We've developed a free application that solves this limitation of Media Express: it is possible to capture from or play out to an unlimited number of devices.

Also, we support all of the most common multimedia formats on both capture and playback.

Please try: http://blog.medialooks.com/8m1X56/.

Andrey

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]