FORUMS: list search recent posts

Regen timecode issue during assemble edit to tape with Decklink 4k Extreme card

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rosie Nakamura
Regen timecode issue during assemble edit to tape with Decklink 4k Extreme card
on Nov 27, 2013 at 7:52:46 pm

I have been using AJA Kona cards for years to layoff to tape, but just recently installed a Decklink 4K Extreme card on my system, and the layoff process has not been as easy as before. The issue I'm having is doing an assemble edit to tape. Whether I layoff in Avid Symphony 6.0.3, Premiere CS5.5, or FCP7, the layoff will stop at the point on the tape where the striped timecode ended.

I am used to a workflow with the Kona card in which I only have to stripe the tape with enough timecode so that I have an in-point to assemble edit into. I set the deck to regen and then it regenerates the timecode from that point on. It seems my Decklink card cannot do this. The only way I can get it to work is if I stripe the tape with enough timecode to cover the entire video I'm laying off. This isn't such a big deal if it's just a short video, but taking the real-time to black and code for 90 minutes for a long-form piece is very inconvenient. I understand that if I were doing an insert edit to tape I would need enough timecode for the in and out point, but I don't see why this is an issue with an assemble edit.

Is this just the way this card operates or is there something I'm doing wrong? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I am running the card in a Mac Pro with OS 10.8.4. Laying off to an AJ HD1400 deck.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]