FORUMS: list search recent posts

HDMI or SDI?

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Mark
HDMI or SDI?
on Nov 16, 2013 at 4:10:38 am

Whats better to output interlaced graphics?

A News Graphic Lover

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: HDMI or SDI?
on Nov 17, 2013 at 6:42:22 pm

They both handle interlacing just fine. Digital is digital. However, HDMI interfaces can often be limited to 8bit whereas SDI is 10bit. And you'd have to have a 10bit monitor to see the difference.

Return to posts index

Jim Brown
on Nov 18, 2013 at 12:12:48 am

Bret is right. BNC connectors are much more rugged than HDMI connectors. They are consumer grade and are not designed to be plugged and unplugged multiple times. The SDI connector also has a positive lock. We have experienced HDMI connectors working loose.

Jim Brown
M&M Productions USA

Jim Brown
M & M Productions USA
Oak Ridge, TN

Return to posts index

John Mark
on Nov 18, 2013 at 10:45:33 am
Last Edited By John Mark on Nov 18, 2013 at 10:46:29 am

Thank you. On a side note: do you know any TV screens/monitors that support PAL video (720 by 576i) via a HDMI cable to be used for play-out?

The odd thing is, video being outputted at a setting of 1080i50, play smoothly, even if the dimension is not the same as the output. But if I try and play-out the same video in PAL , the screen has a "shaking look" and video seems to judder on motion. I not sure whats going on there.

Many thanks.

A News Graphic Lover

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 19, 2013 at 3:00:08 pm

No such format. It's either if you want 50 images per second, you have 2 formats- 720p50 or 1080i. 720 is always progressive. Not interlaced. In the US, mad I assume elsewhere, 1080 is broadcast as interlaced. Both have matching temporal rates of 50 images per second, which is needed to match up with older legacy TV broadcasts.

In editing, you could of course have 720p25 or 1080p30, but there's no 720 interlaced format.

Any HDTV/monitor should support both 1080i or 720p.

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Nov 19, 2013 at 11:53:45 pm

[Bret Williams] "No such format."

Of course there is. He's describing PAL SD, which is 720 x 576, interlaced 25fps (or 50i if you want to get technical). PAL HD can either be 720p50 (1280x720) or 1080i50 (1920x1080).

I think the OP is asking if there's a monitor that can play both PAL SD and PAL HD when fed a signal via HDMI, without the SD looking like crap.

Return to posts index

John Mark
on Nov 20, 2013 at 2:38:27 am

[Alan Okey] "Of course there is. He's describing PAL SD, which is 720 x 576, interlaced 25fps (or 50i if you want to get technical). PAL HD can either be 720p50 (1280x720) or 1080i50 (1920x1080).

I think the OP is asking if there's a monitor that can play both PAL SD and PAL HD when fed a signal via HDMI, without the SD looking like crap."

Thanks Alan, thats exactly what I was mentioning. So are there any out there? There is two things I am looking for: smooth motion (motion plus) and able to handle all PAL formats, especially 720 by 576i fed by HDMI without is looking terrible.

Thank you.

A News Graphic Lover

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 20, 2013 at 12:54:00 pm

You guys are right I totally misread that as 720i, for some reason. Any Pal monitor with an HDMI port should support PAL SD of course. But if you want it to not look like crap, that's a tough one. I have a Flanders scientific. It uses SDI,but an support HDMI via DVI. In either case even on a decently expensive monitor, yes SD looks like crap BY COMPARISON to HD. I also have a consumer Vizio and it's SD scaling looks about the same. Neither has a problem with dealing with interlacing. While a LCD displays images progressively, each field should get mapped to a frame. Preserving "smoothness."

There are other factors of course. You'd have to make sure you're using appropriate sequence settings and BMD output settings of course. If you put interlaced into a 25p sequence you'd lose any interlacing and smoothness.

Return to posts index

Paolo Castellano
on Nov 27, 2013 at 2:00:15 pm

Hello John,
if you are happy of the "HD results" of your current monitor, you could consider to add to your workflow a "VIDEO SCALER". It will transform your PAL source into the format that your monitor likes (i.e. 1920x1080@50i), and the current quality could improve a lot.
Are you using a professional or consumer grade monitor?
Best Regards,

Paolo Castellano
http://www.ivsEdits.com

[John Mark] "Thanks Alan, thats exactly what I was mentioning. So are there any out there? There is two things I am looking for: smooth motion (motion plus) and able to handle all PAL formats, especially 720 by 576i fed by HDMI without is looking terrible.

Thank you.

A News Graphic Lover"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]