FORUMS: list search recent posts

UltraStudio 4K with Thunderbolt™ 2

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bruce Colgate
UltraStudio 4K with Thunderbolt™ 2
on Nov 11, 2013 at 11:33:18 pm

Howdy.

I read that BMD has released the UltraStudio 4K with Thunderbolt™ 2, which seems to be a physically different product, though externally visually identical, to the UltraStudio 4K with Thunderbolt™ 1.

The press release says it is immediately available through resellers, but it appears the resellers are either not yet selling the product, or are not differentiating the versions (see, for instance, B&H).

Please, does anyone have info on this?

With thanks,

- Bruce Colgate

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: UltraStudio 4K with Thunderbolt™ 2
on Nov 12, 2013 at 2:26:10 am

Hi Bruce -
http://www.1sourcevideo.com/Home/Home

This is 1 source video. They are the exclusive distributors for Blackmagic in the US. Call them, and ask them "where is it". If they don't have it, no one will, because B&H and everyone else gets it from 1 Source.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

Bruce Colgate
on Nov 12, 2013 at 6:14:50 am

Hi Bob!

Thanks for that. Will do.

Hope you're doing well.

- Bruce Colgate

Return to posts index

Gunter Hemeleers
on Nov 20, 2013 at 4:06:05 pm

Hi Bruce,

it won't be thunderbolt 2.
nobody can release a device with thunderbolt 2 before apple does.
until then any unit you can buy is thunderbolt 1

Return to posts index

Bruce Colgate
on Dec 6, 2013 at 4:58:57 pm

Just got the Ultrastudio 4k TB2 version today. The TB2 badge is printed on the box in red in the upper right corner. Be advised you'll need your own IEC power cable (none in the box), and like the multibridge before it, has a noisy little fan that will probably make it the loudest thing in your edit suite.

- Bruce Colgate

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Dec 9, 2013 at 10:05:14 pm

Does the Thunderbolt 4K have one or two Thunderbolt ports for pass through to daisy chain HDs and computer monitor at end of chain? Have seen photos with both one and two TBs. Current diagram on Blackmagic site shows two, which I must have as I only have one TB connection on my Macbook Pro 17 early 2011 Sandy bridge. Thanks in advance.

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1,Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1.3, Premiere Pro 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Avid MC, Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz 24Gb RAM GTX-285 120GB SSD, Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 8Gb SSD, G5 Quadcore PCIe

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Dec 10, 2013 at 4:00:30 am

[Jim Wiseman] "Does the Thunderbolt 4K have one or two Thunderbolt ports"

Two ports according to specs and press images. It's UltraStudio Express and some other BMD products that only have one.

-- Alex Gerulaitis | Systems Engineer | DV411 - Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Dec 13, 2013 at 9:11:08 am

Mine arrived today with the 2 ports, same model # with 2 at the end. Will be trying it out this weekend. Bruce, what are you running it on (computer) what OSX and what Blackmagic driver? Was going to 10.8.5 and 9.9.3 as a start with the newest, (except for Mavericks, want to give that some time). Have Mackbook Pro 17, early 2011, Sandybridge, an approved computer. OWC Accellsior 960GB flash in Helios 550/650MB/sec in Thunderbolt 1 case, + RAID 0 and 5. Mostly would like any info on BM driver and OSX. Maybe a new Mac Pro later this coming year.
Thanks.

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1,Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1.3, Premiere Pro 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Avid MC, Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz 24Gb RAM GTX-285 120GB SSD, Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 8Gb SSD, G5 Quadcore PCIe

Return to posts index

Soeren Schlotfeldt
on Dec 17, 2013 at 10:22:48 am

Hello Jim.

I Have a Mackbook Pro 17, early 2011, too and
I'm thinking to buy the Blackmagic Ultra-Studio 4K 2.

I want to Connect the Blackmagic US to the Thunderbolt-
Connection of my Macbook and a DVI-Display via
an Adapter to the 2nd Thunderbolt-Port on the Ultrastudio.

Did you check if that works?

Would help me a lot.

Thanks

Soeren

Return to posts index

MrDavid Ising
on Mar 30, 2014 at 1:56:58 pm

Hello,

Following on your threads here and I haven't seen any conclusion to your question. Are the new 4k' with thunderbolt 2 daisy chain-able?

Or if there was some sort of thunderbolt 2 hub that would allow several devices, that would be just as good.

Thank you

Return to posts index

Bruce Colgate
on Nov 25, 2013 at 6:31:27 pm

Hi Bob,

The fellows at 1SourceVideo were very accommodating. This was the response:

"Yes, these units are shipping. Here is the Blackmagic Design part number: BDLKULSR4K2"

Putting that in B&H's search box now yields the correct device.

With thanks,

- Bruce Colgate

Return to posts index

Zack Stoff
on May 17, 2017 at 7:12:16 am

Hi guys,

I just picked the Ultrastudio 4k to capture and create 4k versions of VHS and Hi-8 tapes. I have composite outputs going into a Gefen TV Composite to HDMI scaler which seems to properly upconvert the analog signal to 1080p. Then I have the HDMI output going into a Blackmagic HDMI to SDI 4K miniconverter and the dual SDI outputs into the Ultrastudio 4k. All seems correctly set up to capture 4k, however I cannot preview or create a 4k project in Media Express. Every time I choose the 4k project settings in preferences, the preview window goes black. It captures 1080p perfectly fine, but I can't get the 4k working. Any advice?

Thanks,
Zack

Red Brick Post
Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

Chad Pearson
on May 18, 2017 at 10:31:48 pm

Your scaler is only upscaling to 1080p, not 4k, so that's the resolution your Ultrastudio will see and be able to capture. None of the other products you are using have scalers so can only pass through the same resolution that is going into them

Return to posts index

Zack Stoff
on May 19, 2017 at 3:45:07 am

Thank you. So what do I need to scale 1080p to 4k and be able to capture 4k? I thought the Ultrastudio upconverts the 1080p signal to 4k, but I guess that is not the case. Kind of disappointing for that amount of money. I know about the Teranex but would rather not spend that much more, unless that could take the place of the Ultrastudio? Or I could buy the Teranex and replace the Ultrastudio with a cheaper capturing device? Any recommendations for the most cost effective way to do this?

Return to posts index

Chad Pearson
on May 23, 2017 at 2:18:50 am

The UltraStudio supports video inputs up to 4kp30 (aka 6G-SDI), but it will not take an SD or HD signal and upconvert it into that format. That can only be done by a scaler. The Only scaler that Blackmagic makes that has the capability to upscale from to 4K and has HDMI input is the Teranex AV. Overall, the Teranex line was one of the best scalers on the market when Blackmagic bought the company.

Return to posts index

Zack Stoff
on May 24, 2017 at 6:01:54 pm

Thank you Chad.
If I were to swap my Ultrastudio 4K for the Teranex AV, could you recommend a cheaper device to capture the 4K?
Zack

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]