FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to connect Blackmagic HD Extreme 2 to Sony LMD2450W?

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lalitha Rajan
How to connect Blackmagic HD Extreme 2 to Sony LMD2450W?
on Nov 6, 2013 at 2:22:45 pm

Hi

I am a bit new to all of this, so please bear with me as I display my complete ignorance here.
I am trying to create a video edit suite at home so that I can edit my videos.

I have inherited some slightly out of date equipment (which all feels state of the art to me!!) but I can't figure out how to connect my Mac Pro (early 2009) which has the Blackmagic HD Extreme 2 in it to the Sony Monitor (LMD 2450W). I only have two Display ports on my mac pro and these are connected to two mac screens. I would like to add the Sony as a third monitor. I tried to connect them through the analog connectors from the breakout cable to the equivalent connectors on the Sony (using the BNC cables), but I get nothing. I get a visual when I connect my camera directly to the monitor (BNC cable connector does the job here), but don't seem to get anything when I attempt to connect the computer to it.

I would really appreciate your help in this matter. The breakout cable is an RS422 cable... can I get one that will go from this to a DVI? Will that work? Or am I just getting the input/outputs wrong? The Sony monitor has an input adaptor but I don't understand what this is for. There are two HDMI ports on the Blackmagic card, but none on the Sony monitor.... but surely there is a way to connect the two using the BNC cables and the breakout cable provided by Blackmagic?

Thank you in advance for your help in this matter.

Best wishes

LR

Return to posts index

Chad Pearson
Re: How to connect Blackmagic HD Extreme 2 to Sony LMD2450W?
on Nov 6, 2013 at 8:40:32 pm

What are you expecting to come out of the HD Extreme? TV output cards like Blackmagic makes are not computer graphics cards and will not mirror your desktop. They only work from within your video editor, like Final Cut to output the timeline you are editing. What are you using to edit your videos?

Return to posts index

Lalitha Rajan
on Nov 6, 2013 at 11:03:15 pm

Hi Chad

Thanks for responding. Ah! I didn't realise that... well I thought that it would still mirror my desktop when the editor is not in use. I am using Final Cut Pro 7. I will give it a try again in the morning and let you know how I get on.

Many thanks,
Lalitha

Return to posts index

Lalitha Rajan
on Nov 8, 2013 at 8:29:15 pm

Hi Chad

As an update, I have managed to get everything working and connected via the HD/SDI connectors. I have also set up the monitor to have all the functions and presets that I want. I have encountered one glitch which is that it doesn't register the 1080p x 50, it keeps defaulting to 1080ix50. As a result I get a very slight audio drag, but enough to notice and become a problem. I am assuming that this is why there is a sync issue, but I may be wrong.

I shot the footage I am currently viewing and editing on a Sony PMW Ex3 and at 1080/24p
I have changed the 'default video standard' on Blackmagic in System settings as 1080p24 and done pretty much the same in Final Cut's video setting preferences. If I set the video playback in Audio/Video settings as 'Blackmagic HD1080p24' it stops playing on the Sony monitor and if I set it as 1080ix50, I get the audio drag. There doesn't seem to be a 1080p option there either.

What am I doing wrong here? I tried to go the monitor and see if I could change the format in the menu settings there, but it doesn't let me do that.

I am confused by the multitude of Codecs on offer. Also, should the Monitor not mirror the footage on my Canvas?

Can you please help me understand this?

Many thanks in advance

Lalitha

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 11, 2013 at 1:58:17 pm

many older HD monitors cannot support 24p progressive playback. This is an older monitor, and it is not a "multisync" monitor, as most modern monitors are.

As for being confused by the multitude of codecs - this is part of what editing is about. If it was easy, any beginner could do it. There are countless codecs, and you have to be able to determine which one is best for you. An industry standard is Apple ProRes422, but there are countless good ones. Many people choose the one that matches the native codec of the camera.

To play back in FCP 7, your codec must also match the sequence codec. I suggest choosing an easy setup that you like (you probably have native Sony XDCam EX), and if you choose to work in ProRes, you will have to transcode to ProRes422. Or you can work in the native codec.

With all of that said, I doubt your Sony monitor will play back a 24p image, no matter what you do. It's probably only capable of showing an interlaced image, which is why the "I" codecs (1080i) seem to work.

SO, is all of this confusing - you bet it is. When all of us learned all this stuff, it was VERY confusing. That's why they pay us !

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]