FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can anyone Recommend a Quicktime HD recorder?

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steven Orsinelli
Can anyone Recommend a Quicktime HD recorder?
on Nov 1, 2013 at 5:28:38 pm

Hello guys, I bought the ATEM studio for my Film/Broadcasting class, very happy with it. However I believe i made the mistake of buying the Panasonic AG-HMR10 Mini- HD AVHD recorder to record the output of the ATEM. Don't get me wrong the quality is great for our setting, we are using Consumer Canon HD cameras and the picture and sound are super. However once a recording is done, my students need to be able to take the recoded SD card to one of our Mac stations and import and edit it into i-movie (for my 8th graders) and Final Cut X (for the advanced HS students). Well it is AVHD so I cannot import that file (off of the SD card) into i-movie, says it does not recognize the media.

I found a way around it by taking that recorded SD card and putting it in one of the cameras via USB and then opening i-movie. It then will import fine, have not tried this yet with FCX. It's ok for now but I need a HD recorder that will record off of the ATEM in a quicktime file that the Mac software will work with. I need something that can record (compressed) for the i-movie kids, and (uncompressed) for the advanced students.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. I have herd about the Black Magic Hyper-deck but not sure if this would work for me?
Thanks Steve

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: Can anyone Recommend a Quicktime HD recorder?
on Nov 4, 2013 at 3:37:31 pm

Hyperdeck should work.

Inputs can be HDSDI, HDMI, and others.

It'll record to uncompressed / prores (any flavour) or DNX quicktimes. As long as your edit program can work with one of those, you should be good.

Use a dock, mount your SSD in your edit bay and copy the file across. Only catch is the files are originally saved as "capture001" "Capture002" etc. you can't name them anything specific until you access the ssd through a computer.

Glenn

Return to posts index

Steven Orsinelli
on Nov 4, 2013 at 5:11:38 pm

Thanks Glen for your advice, I will check out the deck. I just need to make sure it can also record in (compressed quicktime) so files can be used in i-movie.
Thanks!

Return to posts index

Kuhnen Brown
on Nov 10, 2013 at 2:50:48 pm

The hyper deck shuttle only records QT ProRes HQ. It does not offer the lower ProRes data rate options. Cable connections are not suitable to consumer cameras.

Return to posts index

Paolo Castellano
on Nov 27, 2013 at 2:24:38 pm

Hi Steven,
just if you are thinking to get it from Ebay as a second hand unit, be careful, since you would need the Hyperdeck Shuttle 2. The first version was almost identical to the newer model but it couldn't record compressed files (Apple Prores HQ and Avid DNxHD).

Prores HQ will be probably the best option, since it will be a good solution for both "classrooms".

Anyway, are you using a PC/MAC to control your Atem?

Best Regards,

Return to posts index

Steven Orsinelli
on Dec 2, 2013 at 5:24:24 pm

Hey thanks for your advice pal..So what you are saying is the Hyperdeck shuttle 2 records in quicktime (Compressed for i-movie) and (un-compressed for final cut x) right? If that is the case that would solve all my problems! You asked how am I controlling the ATEM, I am controlling the switcher through a desktop mac. I also have a dual screen HD monitor, one is the camera displays, the other is the master output.
Thanks for taking the time to respond buddy, best to you!
Steve

Return to posts index

Paolo Castellano
on Dec 2, 2013 at 11:17:45 pm

Hello Steve,
I think that you can solve all of your problems using a single codec for both classrooms, i.e. Prores HQ. High quality and compressed. I don't use iMovie, but I remember a post that if you install the tryout version of FinalCut Pro X, it will install the codec to support Prores into iMovie.

I asked you about the control because I don't know if you are aware that you don't need the Panasonic recorder, because the Atem TVS records H264 video, up to 25Mbps, thanks to an hardware H264 encoder. You'd just have to plug the USB cable between it and your laptop and you're ready to capture using Media Express or any other software that supports the Atem.

Best Regards,

Return to posts index

Steven Orsinelli
on Dec 3, 2013 at 8:35:49 pm

Hello Paolo I did not know that the ATEM had a recorder in it? How again would I do this? So are you saying record the footage into the mac I have the atem switcher on? Or are you saying I need to hook up an another computer to capture the recorded footage? If so, how and where do i hook that up to? Also you mentioned media express? I am a bit confused about it all, but thanks for your help pal, it is so appreciated!
Steve

Return to posts index

Paolo Castellano
on Dec 9, 2013 at 6:52:54 pm

Hello Steven,
I use it on a PC, but yes, you can capture to the same Mac you are using to control the Atem TVS; you just have to plug both Ethernet and USB 2.0 cables between your MAC/ATEM, and you can start/stop capture using the bundled Blackmagic Media Express software.
Best Regards,

Paolo.Castellano@ivs.it
http://www.ivsEdits.com
-----------------------
"Post Fata Resurgo"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]