FORUMS: list search recent posts

Studio SetUp

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Lee
Studio SetUp
on Oct 7, 2013 at 5:32:14 am

Ive posted this on the BM forums but I figured I'd post it here aswell.

So I've got a maximum budget of $20,000. I'm looking to do a complete upgrade of our existing studio setup we have as it is getting outdated. I was looking at the TriCaster because it's such an easy solution however after doing some more research, you clearly get more for your money with Blackmagic.

This is a list of the features that are required:
4 inputs (minimum)
Chroma Keying Capability
Media Playing functionality for all the different video clips that are played through the programs
An HD live streaming solution

Preferably with the 4k setup (BM Production Camera & 4k Switcher)
So basically, If I gave you $20,000 cash, what Blackmagic (and non-blackmagic) products would you use to set this all up. Of course the basics are already included, monitors, cables, etc. Also included is a 15in MBP retina

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Studio SetUp
on Oct 8, 2013 at 1:41:19 am

so you are going to buy 4 Blackmagic cameras to do this ? That's $2000 each for 4 cameras. And this does not include lenses for the cameras (do you know how much lenses cost ?). What about tripods, pan heads, remote zoom and focus for the lenses ? Intercom system ? You can use the Blackmagic ATEM Camera converter, but this will become expensive real fast.

The least of your worries is the the ATEM switcher (or the tri caster) - it's everything else that you need (mainly the cameras, and accessories for the cameras) that becomes expensive. A $2000 camera does not cost $2000 with all the crap that you need for it.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

Rodrigo Menezes
on Oct 8, 2013 at 1:49:47 am

From my brief experience with BM products...go with the tricaster. They will actually WORK, unlike BM.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Oct 8, 2013 at 4:32:20 pm

Hi Alex,

On what features do you base "you clearly get more for your money with Blackmagic"? An ATEM switcher definitely costs less, but I think there are major differences, especially when considering all the new features in the just-released 410 and 460 models.

My understanding of the ATEM "Media Players" is that they are limited to very short clips of a few seconds, basically for stingers/logos/transitions (correct me if I have it wrong). TriCaster can play video clips of any length, with alpha channel if desired. 2 DDRs, graphics player and sound player included.

ATEM does not record a broadcast-quality version of the program to the hard drive (TC410), or 4-channel ISO record as does the TC460.

ATEM does not have Live Web Streaming built in.

TriCaster goes well beyond your basic chroma keying, with virtual sets and new "holographic" sets, includes pan/zoom/pedestal movements for realism.

TriCaster 410/460 units are 4 M/E. New Macros allow complex operations with one button push, including remote control from iPad, MIDI devices. PTZ camera control built in, IP camera sources, social media publishing, and much more.

I think the two products are very different animals and suitability really depends on your needs.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]