FORUMS: list search recent posts

EIZO monitor, DeckLink 3D+ and HDLink

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Luis Otero
EIZO monitor, DeckLink 3D+ and HDLink
on Oct 1, 2013 at 5:04:50 pm

Hello,

I just got an EIZO reference monitor (CG series), which has 2 DVI and 1 DisplayPort inputs. My platform is Mac Pro.

When I try to feed the monitor with the signal from the DeckLink, either directly through the HDMI output or converted to DisplayPort using the HDLink, the monitor does not receive an usable signal.

If the HDMI is used with a DVI converter, the image received is PINK. If the DisplayPort is used directly from the HDLink to the port in the monitor, there is no signal that the EIZO can process, so black is display.

On the other hand, if the EIZO is connected directly via DVI from the computer, the image is display perfectly. However, this defeats the purpose of using it as the reference monitor.

Is there a known issue and a way to correct it with this particular configuration? I have used multiple cables to assure that the cables are not the problem.

Please, advise ASAP...!!!

Thanks, Luis

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: EIZO monitor, DeckLink 3D+ and HDLink
on Oct 1, 2013 at 7:04:44 pm

That is a computer monitor, with computer monitor resolutions. The Decklink cards output video resolutions...1280x720, 1920x1080. That EZIO monitor must not do TV resolutions. You need to get a monitor that can do 1920x1080

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Luis Otero
on Oct 1, 2013 at 7:12:11 pm

That is not how it is advertised at their website: "Ideal for Moving Image Work, Too".

This is the link: http://www.eizo.com/global/products/coloredge/cg223w/#tab01

Aside, I have used other monitors with HD-SDI, DVI, Component, and Composite connections that are not 1080p, and the image is scaled automatically by the monitor circuit.

Luis

Return to posts index

Chad Pearson
on Oct 1, 2013 at 7:19:24 pm

I'm sure that monitor will work just fine for "moving image work" when you plug it directly into your computer as a second monitor, not through a video capture card. Computers create graphics using an RGB color space, Televisions and video signals use a YUV color space, that is why you see a pink image. Unless the monitor has a setting to switch to a YUV color space it will not work with any video/television signal.

Note that my "cheap" Dell monitor does have such a setting, so you may want to ask the manufacturer.

Return to posts index

Luis Otero
on Oct 1, 2013 at 7:35:38 pm

So, are we saying that the DeckLink HD-SDI, HDLink, or combination of them, deliver YUV images, and not RGB images?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 1, 2013 at 7:45:43 pm

Yes. Video is YUV. Unless you shoot RGB specifically, and have RGB project settings, but that is a rare, high end format. 97% of the time, it's YUV.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

EricBowen
on Oct 1, 2013 at 10:16:47 pm

The HDMI standard gives you YUV out of HDMI. Does your CG series not have an HDMI input? If it does what happens if you just run HDMI? What is the model number of the Eizo? Do you have the firmware up to date on the HD Link. What settings do you have for the HDLink?

Eric-ADK
Tech Manager
support@adkvideoediting.com

Return to posts index

Luis Otero
on Oct 1, 2013 at 10:27:18 pm

The EIZO has DVI and DisplayPort only. Even if I use HDMI with adapter, it does not work. I have tried several cables, so the cable is not the culprit.

I am still unsure about the YUV vs. RGB issue pointed out before, but I am still pursuing a definite answer.

Meanwhile, a great devise meant to be used as a reference monitor is not being used for the reason it was built and bought for.

Return to posts index

EricBowen
on Oct 1, 2013 at 10:31:08 pm

What Model is the model of the Eizo? What is the frame rate of media you are testing with when you connect DVI or Displayport?

Eric-ADK
Tech Manager

Return to posts index

Luis Otero
on Oct 1, 2013 at 10:35:30 pm

EIZO CG223W. I have tried 23.976 as well as 29.976 with same results.

Your technical evaluation and input will be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Return to posts index

EricBowen
on Oct 1, 2013 at 10:45:10 pm

Does your HDLink have the DVI out? What happens if you connect SDI to the HDlink and then DVI to the monitor? From what I read the CG series only supports 24 Frame HDMI so just use the 30/60 frame for testing. Also try 59.94 interlaced to see if it picks up that signal on the firmware.

Also Last time I ran into this with a Flanders monitor off the Blackmagic cards, the firmware had to be updated on the Flanders. Contact Eizo and make sure they don't have a Firmware update for it.

Eric-ADK
Tech Manager

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 1, 2013 at 11:28:37 pm

[Luis Otero] "Meanwhile, a great devise meant to be used as a reference monitor is not being used for the reason it was built and bought for."

This is a computer monitors...meant to be used as a COMPUTER reference monitor, for things like photoshop. A VIDEO reference monitor is a much MUCH different ting. These are video reference monitors:

http://www.shopfsi.com/

http://www.panasonic.com/business/provideo/video-displays.asp

Sony, Barco, TV Logic...also make broadcast reference monitors. The EIZO monitor you are looking at is not in the same catagory. Again, it is a COMPUTER display. A regular HDTV would be better suited for this than the monitor you have. At least an HDTV would be able to work with your Decklink, because it is designed to display a 1920x1080 YUV signal.

The model you have isn't...computer resolutions are different. The displays I am sitting in front of do 1920x1200, 1600x1000, 1360x768. They wouldn't be able to work with the decklink either.

Sorry, but you are confusing two basic monitor types. Computer displays and TVs or broadcast reference monitors, while both display video images, have different basic designs and uses. The fact that the EIZO you have doesn't have the basic connection type for video...television type video...is a big clue that it won't work in the way you want it to work.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

EricBowen
on Oct 1, 2013 at 11:45:45 pm

This essentially is decided by the firmware on the monitor. They can program in the scaling from 1920 to the maximum resolution of the monitor but that has to be programmed. The Video cards themselves will scale this down as required but the I/O cards wont unless their drivers specify which the Blackmagic do not. The firmware on the monitor will also decide what colorspace is available to use such as RGB or YUV. Once again it depends on what was programmed into the firmware. If this model had HDMI then YUV would be a requirement because of the HDMI Standard. It doesn't so it's up to Eizo whether they included YUV processing or not. I am essentially just verifying what has been included in the firmware and what wasn't by the questions I am asking. The Firmware is where all of this is decided. I suspect that monitor will not scale down since they also do not list that in features like most monitors that do that. A firmware update however can change many of these so it always best to verify what is the latest firmware version available.

Eric-ADK
Tech Manager

Return to posts index

Luis Otero
on Oct 1, 2013 at 11:58:02 pm

EIZO advertise it as ready for video, offering not just sRGB (computer/web color space), but also Rec709 and DCI color spaces are offered. Rec709 and DCI are only for MOVING IMAGES, DCI is specific for Digital Cinema.

So, clearly is not just a computer monitor. It is a high level monitor used by colorist like me to do their job.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 2, 2013 at 12:23:13 am

I did see DCI, but didn't see Rec 709 on that link you provided. If it's intended for video, why doesn't it have connections that video uses? SDI, HDMI? Guess it's like the HP Dreamcolor...that too needs an adapter. But it actually works with one.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Luis Otero
on Oct 2, 2013 at 12:30:44 am

DisplayPort IS a better AV connection than HDMI! It has been capable since it's inception to carry highest bits in video and audio than the original HDMI. After HD-SDI, is the best AV professional connection.

So, by far, it is a professional audio-visual connection. HDMI now is catching up, but initially was intended for home theatre purposes.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 2, 2013 at 12:34:39 am

OK...I'll believe you, HDMI is a consumer connection...meant to replace component. But since no video I/O cards nor devices use that...it's moot. Display port connections are computer monitor connections. Better or no, they come on graphics cards, not video I/O cards.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Luis Otero
on Oct 2, 2013 at 12:39:09 am

I disagree. That is why Black Magic Design offers the DisplayPort as one of the professional output from their products, as well is part of any respectable monitor used as reference that do not offer HD-SDI, such as EIZO, high end Dell, HP, and the list continues.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 2, 2013 at 12:46:27 am

[Luis Otero] "That is why Black Magic Design offers the DisplayPort as one of the professional output from their products,"

Cool! DUH...and now I see it. The HD link...this converter box you've been talking about THIS ENTIRE TIME! I'm dense sometimes.

If Display port is so good, how come it isn't offered as an direct output option on their I/O cards? ANYONE'S I/O cards? Genuinely curious now, not snarky.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Luis Otero
on Oct 2, 2013 at 1:02:59 am

Just as a summary to answer your question, the same question has been discussed among the professional AV for a long time.

Despite having a better, more robust plug-in connector, a better AV bit depth capability than HDMI, why it did not have a wider deployment? The answer is simple: the connections (I/O) and the cable construction of HDMI are way cheaper than the DisplayPort.

If you have both side by side, and read the original specs, you will scratch your head and ask yourself Why, Why, Why? And the answer will be the same: cheaper, cheaper, cheaper.

Hope this helps,

Luis

Return to posts index

EricBowen
on Oct 2, 2013 at 2:43:45 pm

Displayport is not a better transmission standard than HDMI 1.4. HDMI 1.4 actually has better specifications including Deep color support which is 10 or 12Bit color depth, 4K resolution support and 3D transmission. You can verify the specs online but HDMI has zero specification capability difference with SDI including latency. HDMI 1.4 also has the standard for carrying network packets which is unique to video transmission modes. HDMI 1.4 is also superior to Displayport in transmission signal range. The Displayport standard starts reducing bandwidth after shorter ranges than HDMI as well.

Eric-ADK
Tech Manager

Return to posts index

Luis Otero
on Oct 2, 2013 at 2:47:04 pm

I said the original HDMI. Both came out more or less at the same time, but due to cheaper cost of manufacturing, HDMI was widely deployed, and further upgraded.

Return to posts index

EricBowen
on Oct 2, 2013 at 5:34:41 pm

Did you try the output with SDI to the HDlink and DVI to the monitor? Did you try the 59.94 frame rate yet? have you tried 720P60 yet?

Eric-ADK
Tech Manager

Return to posts index

Luis Otero
on Oct 2, 2013 at 6:13:12 pm

The HDLink that I own has DiplayPoty output, not DVI or optic fiber. I tried DP to DVI adapter, but it does not work. The only option that works is DP to HDMI via adapter and going back to DVI in the monitor, but the signal is Pink. Aside, DVI is, as far as I know, 8 bit connection. If I could fix the color Pink issue, and I can confirm that the DVI can carry the 10 bit signal from the HDMI, then I have it solved.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

EricBowen
on Oct 2, 2013 at 6:22:55 pm

The DVI input on the monitor wont carry the 10Bit. That will be 8Bit. You have to go into the monitor Displayport to get the 10bit. Did you see if Eizo had a firmware update?

Eric-ADK
Tech Manager

Return to posts index

Luis Otero
on Oct 2, 2013 at 7:27:13 pm

I can check, but this unit was manufactured on June/2013. Will try to check with them. However, it seems to me that the issue could be HDLink capability, or lack of. Will try to call Dwaine to see if there is some other angle I have not thought of yet.

Thanks,

Luis

Return to posts index

Nick Price
on Oct 3, 2013 at 12:53:25 pm

Hi
i presume you have been through all the menus to see if you can change the colour space to REC709. I have a dell monitor that i can use as a simple video reference monitor. It is plugged in using the same DVi cable, driven either from a blackmagic HDMI or the computer graphics card. To switch between 'video' and 'computer' there is a setting in the menu called, rather simply, 'computer' or 'video'. One is pink when switched incorrectly.

thanks
nick

Return to posts index

Luis Otero
on Oct 3, 2013 at 2:02:49 pm

Thanks for the information, Nock. I do own a Dell and it also has such setting. In this monitor, the selection of RGB or YUV is done automatically by the monitor.

Thanks!!!

Return to posts index

Jesse Coane
on Oct 4, 2013 at 5:26:56 pm

Open the HDLink utility go to settings and make sure "scale video to fill larger display" is checked. does that help?

Director / Editor
http://www.jessecoane.com
@jessecoane

Return to posts index

Mike Nagel
on Apr 7, 2014 at 7:15:06 am

Hi guys,

if you're calibrating the Eizo directly with a 3D LUT (the HDLink's LUT is smaller and the LUT processing is bad) then here's a very detailed calibration & workflow guide comparing Lightspace & ColorNavigator calibration approaches:

Eizo CG275W Calibration Guide Using Lightspace And ColorNavigator

- Mike

Profiling & Calibration Workflow Tools: http://www.DisplayCalibrationTools.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]