FORUMS: list search recent posts

Black Magic Smart Control Disposable?

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeffery Sells
Black Magic Smart Control Disposable?
on Sep 17, 2013 at 6:31:52 pm

I have a Smart Control that failed shortly after warranty expired. I purchased a second one because I needed it quickly thinking that I would have the original one repaired and then use it as a backup. When I requested an RMA from Black Magic, offering to pay for repairs, I received this response:

Thank you for contacting us. Unfortunately we do not have the ability to perform repairs on these units here in our lab. If you would like us to test it for you, we can do so, but we would not be able to replace it or repair it if we found it to be faulty.

We apologize for the inconvenience, please let us know if you have any questions.

I'm finding this response hard to believe. Has anyone else had this experience or did I just happen on a misinformed service rep? Do other Black Magic customers just plan on replacing their stuff every few years? If that is the case, I wish someone would have given me a heads up.

Return to posts index

Baz Leffler
Re: Black Magic Smart Control Disposable?
on Sep 18, 2013 at 12:17:42 am

I had a 12x24 Workgroup Videohub that experienced a similar fate. I went to use it one day and it would not respond.

I actually sent it back to BMD HQ and they said "dead and unrepairable".
The only thing wrong with it was the USB had fritzed for no apparent reason.

Luckily it had reset itself to factory default so now I use it as a 12x2 HD distribution amp.

I replaced it with a 72x144 Videohub, at great expense, and live in fear of the same thing happening!

I also had a Multibridge Extreme that would work as a converter but would not work with the PCI card. Same thing; unrepairable. Now I use it as a.... yep, you guessed it; as a HDSDI to HDMI converter and a down converter.

Baz

Return to posts index

Jeffery Sells
on Sep 18, 2013 at 12:32:38 am

Baz,
Ouch. I think you got it worse than I did. Most surprising to me is that I asked for clarification on what they do repair and no one has responded. I was considering 6 Hyperdeck Studio Pros and a much larger router and needed to know if my situation was an exception or their rule. (I thought it was a fair question.) I'm not sure I'm willing to spend any money to "live in fear" to paraphrase you, even at their low prices. I used to REALLY like them and hate to admit how much this experience has shaken my confidence not only in them but also now in my own rig.

Return to posts index

Baz Leffler
on Sep 18, 2013 at 9:21:22 am

Well it seems there may be an opportunity for someone with the skills to offer a repair service.

I am sure the components can be obtained, even through Black Magic.

If I wasn't so busy, I would consider it, being a board level engineer, but I don't want to fork out all the money to buy the special SMD handling tools etc.

But to be fair BMD were super helpful and sympathetic to my dilemma.

And lets admit it, we all live in a disposable world now.

Baz

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]