FORUMS: list search recent posts

"Clicking" and "Popping" noise from DeckLink SDI Audio

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Skrobowski
"Clicking" and "Popping" noise from DeckLink SDI Audio
on Aug 16, 2013 at 9:19:12 pm

Hello, I'm experiencing some very annoying audio quality issues while using my DeckLink SDI.

Upon feed capture or preview, I can here a very annoying "popping"/"clicking"/"static" sound in the audio feed that is embedded into the SDI stream beforehand by a Blackmagic Audio to SDI mini converter.

I am using Wirecast Pro 4.3.1. However, the issue is also present when using the capture software that is shipped with the DeckLink SDI.

I rendered a test video to show the issue. In the video (rendered by Wirecast Pro), I switch back and forth between two sources--the DeckLink SDI, and an audio file from a media drive. The issue is present when using the DeckLink as a source, but not the audio file. This is what leads my suspicions that the DeckLink is to blame. A link to the test video is given below.

Link to the video

Does anybody have any advice as to how to resolve this problem? I'm happy to supply any extra information that will help to resolve the issue.

All help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

SYSTEM: Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit; Intel core-i7 2.67Ghz, quad-core; 6GB RAM; Asus P6T motherboard; 7200RPM media/capture drive; Blackmagic driver versions 9.7.7; Wirecast Pro 4.3.1.

Return to posts index

Gunter Puszkar
Re: "Clicking" and "Popping" noise from DeckLink SDI Audio
on Aug 19, 2013 at 12:53:48 pm

Hi,

we noticed a similar issue, and the USB 3.0 onboard controller had to be disabled.
You can check your system with latency analyzer software, to see if your PCI Bus is in trouble. Too many devices on the systems will lead to this...

May be this helps..

Gunter Puszkar
Head of Postproduction
PostFactory GmbH
Berlin, Germany

Return to posts index

Daniel Skrobowski
on Aug 20, 2013 at 5:01:24 pm

Hi Gunter, we appreciate the tip.

We are using a SATA II motherboard with USB 2.0....

There isn't much on the system that we can do away with. Incidentally, we do have LogMeIn (remote desktop management software) installed on this PC. Would it make sense technically if this software was contributing to the issue?

We appreciate all help.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

EricBowen
on Aug 20, 2013 at 3:05:54 pm

Please download this and run it. Screen shot if you see any yellow or red spikes:

http://www.thesycon.de/dpclat/dpclat.exe

Also what Realtek driver are you running? If your not sure then try this one:

http://www.realtek.com/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=24&PFid=2...

Select the 2nd option Win 7 64bit.

Eric-ADK
Tech Manager

Return to posts index

Daniel Skrobowski
on Aug 20, 2013 at 4:52:14 pm

Hi Eric, thanks for the information.

Will this program work for what you gave the first link for?

DPC Latency Checker by Thesycon

...from the device manager in the control panel, our Realtek High-Definition Audio driver version is 6.0.1.5859.

Do you suspect the Realtek controller over the DeckLink or Wirecast?

All tips are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

EricBowen
on Aug 21, 2013 at 5:44:58 pm

Yes that download will work for the DPC Latency.

I have spoke to Blackmagic before regarding audio distortion issues in the past and the techs told me the Blackmagic cards use the Audio interface for the DSP processing. If you are getting distortion, it very well may be the audio interface causing it. I am not sure if the DSP processing handoff is specific to certain cards or all of them. So I always start with that. This would not be the first time Realtek's driver showed this issue.

Eric-ADK
Tech Manager

Return to posts index

Daniel Skrobowski
on Aug 22, 2013 at 2:09:34 am

Hi Eric, Here is a screenshot from the latency checker.

Return to posts index

EricBowen
on Aug 22, 2013 at 2:15:24 pm

That DPC is fine for audio. The Realtek drivers or the Blackmagic drivers then are the issue.

Eric-ADK
Tech Manager

Return to posts index

Paolo Castellano
on Aug 22, 2013 at 9:38:57 am

Hello Daniel,
last driver builds introduced on my systems audio quality issues (P6T Deluxe and P9X79).
Reverting back to archived builds (like 9.7 http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/detail/register?sid=3945&pid=4001&f... ) I solved the problem for all the BMD cards, except the Declink Extreme 4K, probably too young for archived drivers.

Hope it helps,

Paolo.Castellano@ivs.it
http://www.ivsEdits.com
-----------------------
"Post Fata Resurgo"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]