FORUMS: list search recent posts

ATEM USB 3 h264 out to Mac to WireStream

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nate Stephens
ATEM USB 3 h264 out to Mac to WireStream
on Jul 1, 2013 at 10:45:13 pm

How do I use the ATEM1 H264 USB3 out with my Mac and WireStream. I got the USB3 to Thunderbolt Matrox DS1 the Mac still does see the H264 Stream from the ATEM1. I would love to use the H264 from the ATEM to stream to the web.. What am I missing?

I have my DVCpro cameras working great with the ATEM1. But I can only stream the SD output for that is all Ustream (Wirescast) will see to stream.

Is there a solution?

FCP, Mac Pro, Mac Book Pro, HPX500, HVX200, Betacam, Dvcam
Write for the Edit, Shoot for the Edit, Edit.....KISS Principle

Return to posts index

Chad Pearson
Re: ATEM USB 3 h264 out to Mac to WireStream
on Jul 2, 2013 at 11:54:17 pm

The ATEM 1 doesn't do H264, only the ATEM TVS does. The ATEM 1 and 2 use USB3 to pass uncompressed video. Though this is generally beneficial since most streaming software wants to re-encode the signal to a lower bitrate anyway. Make sure your streaming software is set to the exact format / resolution as your ATEM is putting out. If they don't match you will see a black screen.

Return to posts index

Nate Stephens
on Jul 3, 2013 at 2:05:28 pm

Thanks for your reply. I am using Ustreams - 200 dollar Wirecast software to encode and upload to the web. It loves the SD out from the ATEM1.

What "bridge" software do I need to get the ATEM1 output down to the HDV bitrate that Ustream/Wirecast will accept. I am trying to stream HD not SD. Do I need another web streaming encoder instead of Ustream/wirecast?

Our new ATEM1 is a little clumsy with out the control panel. But we have it working, switching 4 HD DVCpro cameras, two Mac laptops and one iPad video feeds. Our target is to stream HD not SD while recording the ATEM HD program out. Any pointers are sure appreciated.

thanks

Return to posts index

Chad Pearson
on Jul 3, 2013 at 6:57:17 pm

No "bridge" software is necessary. You must tell wirecast to expect a 1080i signal instead of SD. Also check your Blackmagic control panel to make sure downconvert is not turned on.

Return to posts index

Nate Stephens
Thanks -Re: ATEM USB 3 h264 out to Mac to WireStream
on Jul 5, 2013 at 3:17:54 pm

Found it, Thanks for the prodding.... It is under Sources in the menu. Yes you have to open the sources tab in Ustream pro/wirecast and tell ustream what is being fed into it. Just cause it sees the BMD Ultra Studio SDI in spigot does not mean that it recognizes what is coming in. I got 1080 and 720 to work just fine.

But what is the standard client conversation when you set up a remote web up link. Do you tell them it will be HD if their internet upload is robust enough 3, 5, ?MB upload. I ordered an upgrade to my internet just to get a 3MB upload speed (another $15/month) and it is not fast enough to upload full HD bandwidth bit rate. Ustream at the HD bandwidth with 3MB upload kept crapping out. It was stable at the lower "high bit rate" streaming 720p.. What is the target upload bitrate/cable speed for 720 ? For 1080? (SD will stream at the HD bit rate setting, but it is SD)

I am really amazed how the new video compression algorithms are so gentle on older highly compressed video. I can play back a 1/4 screen 3 year old QT or mp4 file at double it's actual size and it actually looks way too good coming out of the BMD ATEM1 and Ustream.

Good stuff. Thanks for your help. Now into the brave new world of broadcast video from anywhere to everywhere..... very cool

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]