FORUMS: list search recent posts

What way are you handling tapeless acquisition?

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neal Boyle
What way are you handling tapeless acquisition?
on Jun 4, 2013 at 2:32:18 pm

Hi Folks,

I've been happily shooting away on tape for twenty years (currently Sony HD CAM). At this stage the drop in price of SSDs and the benefits of not having to digitize in real time from tape has won me over. So I want some advice on how to handle tapeless acquisition.

I'm looking at the Hyperdeck Shuttle, capturing in ProRes for Final Cut. My question is about how people are using SSDs. Do you shoot with them like tapes on a shoot, meaning bring enough to shoot on once. Or do you back them up every night and recycle just a few SSDs? If you back them up what are you using, a laptop and a GTech/Lacie drive?... or is there a simpler way? I'm principally a documentary cameraman, so small crews and kit. Ideally I want an easy, light weight setup, not loads more kit to pack. So what’s working for people?

And how are people handling archiving their location footage, what replaces the original camera tape?

Thanks in advance,
Neal

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: What way are you handling tapeless acquisition?
on Jun 5, 2013 at 1:50:43 pm

Shoot, transfer to drive (2) First priority back at the base is archive to material to LTO tape (2). Store 1 on site, store 1 off site. If you can handle 3 lto's of each project you are extremely well covered.

We always try to have two hard drives available at the shop for the footage. Nothing worse than having the drive die during the edit, and having to wait for the restore from LTO. For an extra hundred bucks, we have a backup drive to work from as well.

LTO 5 tapes are around 40 bucks a piece, and store 1.5 tbs. LTO 6 is just out now, holding 2.5 tb, but right now costing 3 times as much for the media.

Glenn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]