FORUMS: list search recent posts

What is this for Exactly ?

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neil Hynes
What is this for Exactly ?
on May 14, 2013 at 12:14:15 am

Whats the main purpose of this card ? And when would one use one ?
Im concerned that everyone is saying that it captures video better than other methods; but is this intended for live streaming performances or what ?
I mean im shooting a documentary, using the pmw ex1, and Ive been capturing through USB; is my capturing method deteriorating my quality?
Im very confused about this and would love it for someone to enlighten me!

Thanks
Neil

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: What is this for Exactly ?
on May 14, 2013 at 2:13:36 pm

Which card are you referring to?

Chris

Return to posts index

Neil Hynes
on May 14, 2013 at 3:18:32 pm

Hi Chris
Thanks for your reply
I guess Im referring to the Intensity Pro
Im referring more to the capture method than the card though
Im wondering about the way Ive captured all my work shot on a PMW EX1 and 200 on SxS cards through USB to hard drive.
If I had utilized this capture method do I get the original uncompressed image or is this for live streaming purposes.

Its a quality control issue I guess and Im concerned about my capturing methods after shooting from a camera like the PMW EX1 or 200

Thanks in advance for your attention

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on May 14, 2013 at 3:41:24 pm

What you're doing is fine and has no quality loss. You shoot to cards and transfer the data over to the comp. via USB, that is correct and fine.

I/O cards by BMD and AJA and others, are used for Tape based workflows among others.

Believe it or not we used to shoot HD video to TAPE.
Then you would capture the media off the tape thru your I/O card onto the comp. Or if you have to lay out to tape a program for distribution, broadcast, duplication, Mastering or whatever.

Some shoot to cards, edit and lay out to tape. I/O cards also feed monitors for editorial, clients, color correction.

Chris

Return to posts index

Neil Hynes
on May 15, 2013 at 9:18:51 pm

Thanks Chris

That was helpful; glad to know Im not loosing any quality there!
Thanks again,
Neil

Return to posts index

Richard Cooper
on May 17, 2013 at 9:27:59 pm

To add to all of this, In the digital HD workflow environments these days, The i/o cards still play a critical roll in post production. It is what supplies a proper HD video signal to your (hopefully) calibrated HD monitor so you get an accurate representation of what you have when color grading or evaluating footage.
Computer monitors should not be relied upon for this purpose. The GPU cards are not putting a proper Rec709 HD signal to your computer displays.... so you cannot calibrate your computer displays the same as you would an HD monitor.

So bottom line, for high end finishing work, an i/o card is still a critical link in the post production workflow.

Hope this helps!

Richard Cooper
Frostline Productions, LLC
Anchorage, Alaska
http://www.frostlineproductions.com

Return to posts index

Neil Hynes
on May 20, 2013 at 3:49:33 pm

Thanks Richard
That helps clear up a lot of things for me
I am intending to edit away as I am and then worry about color correction after. So I will use the no-calibrated monitors as they are for now leaving the coloring duties to later. My graphics card a GeForce 1.2 gb 570 has a hdmi output though and my monitor has the connector; should I utilize that I dont know how to set that up!

Return to posts index

Richard Cooper
on May 20, 2013 at 4:11:02 pm

If you"re just looking for a Dual monitor set up for you edit suite then go for it. It should work.
I may have missunderstood what you were trying to accomplish.

Richard Cooper
Frostline Productions, LLC
Anchorage, Alaska
http://www.frostlineproductions.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]