FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blackmagic Ultrastudio 3d and heat

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Will Duncan
Blackmagic Ultrastudio 3d and heat
on May 10, 2013 at 3:27:07 am

I have a series of live broadcasts I have to record with Mac Mini's and Ultrastudio 3d thunderbolt units to Promise RAID drives.

Initial tests for 1-2 hours worked fine, but the actual recordings will run for 8-10 hours with some breaks.

Reviews haven't helped decipher much, but has anyone on here done any heavy recording times and had issues with the unit overheating?

Should I figure out a way to add a fan or airflow under the unit to help with heat?

Return to posts index

Kannan Raghavan
Re: Blackmagic Ultrastudio 3d and heat
on May 10, 2013 at 4:32:12 am

Hi Will. I bought the UltraStudio Express a couple of weeks back since the UltraStudio 3D is not listed on the website anymore. I've been using the Express for a sporting event to record HD Pro Res 422 files onto a Pegasus R4 every day. I record 8 continuous hrs of footage everyday and haven't had any problems with the unit getting hot. Don't know how much more heat the 3D would produce, hope this helps.

Kannan Raghavan
The Big Toad Films Pte. Ltd.

Return to posts index

Kris Merkel
Re: Blackmagic Ultrastudio 3d and heat
on May 10, 2013 at 1:17:45 pm

I have a US3D that has been in service for a year, IT did have to go back for a replacement for the HDMI input but that was not due to the heat. IT does get hot enough to cook an egg and that is partialy why using the aluminum chassis on that unit was a good Idea to help dissipate some of it.

I have had it in enclosed spaces and on a wire rack during uses and sometimes running for up to 16hrs straight without problems. Just be sure to bring along some oven mitts :)

There was a review that I saw a few months back comparing the US3D to the the IOxt and when measured with a laser thermometer the AJA unit actually runs hotter. But perceptibly the US3D feels hotter because of the aluminum enclosure.

"Think of everything in terms of building capacity."

Kris Merkel
twitter: @kris_merkel
Product Manager, Flanders Scientific Inc.
http://www.shopfsi.com
Co-Founder, Atlanta Cutters Post Production User Group
http://www.atlantacutters.com

2.2Ghz MBP core i7
16Gb RAM
CS6/FCP7
AJA T-Tap
AJA IO XT
FSI LM-2461W/CM-170W

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved