FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cant get picture dark enough on Intensity Pro / Dell Ultrasharp 2400

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Edwards
Cant get picture dark enough on Intensity Pro / Dell Ultrasharp 2400
on May 5, 2013 at 5:41:32 pm

Hi, I have been doing some grading using Resolve, A Intensity pro and a Dell Ultrasharp 2400. I realise this is not a setup for broadcast grading but was hoping it would get me started, let me do web/DVD grading. I have been using the Adobe RGB profile and connecting Intensity Pro to monitor via HDMI. Problem is even if I turn brightness right down to 0 it is still to bright (when I grade and play back on anything else it comes out too dark). The source material is very dark but as I say it looks OK on my setup. The only thing I can think of is putting ND lighting gels in front of the monitor. Anyone got any other ideas?

Ben

--
Ben Edwards - Freelance Picture Editor
http://www.funkytwig.com

i5 550, Windows 7 / Mac Lion, Nvida 550 Ti, 8GB Mem

Return to posts index

Richard Cooper
Re: Cant get picture dark enough on Intensity Pro / Dell Ultrasharp 2400
on May 17, 2013 at 9:40:41 pm

I just talked about this in another post above so forgive me if this is redundant but...
i/o cards (like the Black Magic DeckLink Studio) play a critical roll in post production. It is what supplies a proper HD video signal to your (hopefully) calibrated HD monitor so you get an accurate representation of what you have when color grading or evaluating footage.
Computer monitors should not be relied upon for this purpose. The GPU cards are not putting a proper Rec709 HD signal to your computer displays.... so you cannot calibrate your computer displays the same as you would an HD monitor.

Bottom line, Spend the money on (at least) a $200.00 on a BM Intensity pro and another $399 on a 42" Panasonic Plasma and you will be a happy camper.
If you are doing anything that you are being paid for, ONE job should more than cover the cost... Oh and if you are in the US, have Best Buy come in and calibrate the monitor for you to REC707 specs. Will cost another $300 but then you know you are at least in the ball park. Will be the best money you will ever invest into your business. Even it if just a hobby, you will be miles ahead of most and your stuff will always look fantastic no matter where it is played.

Hope this helps.

Richard Cooper
Frostline Productions, LLC
Anchorage, Alaska
http://www.frostlineproductions.com

Return to posts index

Ben Edwards
Re: Cant get picture dark enough on Intensity Pro / Dell Ultrasharp 2400
on May 17, 2013 at 10:37:04 pm

Thanks, that is the conclusion I came to. Problem is I dont have the room for a 42" plasma;(. For now I am making do with another dell Ultrasharp (via GPU ) to get me going which is good for web.

I am getting the feeling there is something wrong with with my 2410, even with brattiness down to 0 is is still way to bright. Would this be fixed by calibrating it, or would spending money on a wide guant calibrater be wasted?

Ben

--
Ben Edwards - Freelance Picture Editor
http://www.funkytwig.com

i5 550, Windows 7 / Mac Lion, Nvida 550 Ti, 8GB Mem

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]