FORUMS: list search recent posts

BM UltraStudio Express with LaCie 5big Thunderbolt™ Series

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Trey Leitko
BM UltraStudio Express with LaCie 5big Thunderbolt™ Series
on Apr 23, 2013 at 7:03:58 pm

I am hoping this is the correct Forum to post this in, as this situation has to deal with several components.

Specifically: iMac, CS6 Premier Pro, BM UltraStudio Express http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/ultrastudiothunderbolt/ and LaCie 5big Thunderbolt™ Series http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?id=10607

I need to optimize an existing iMac to edit AVCHD natively for a 30min weekly show. Currently I have been using CS6 PP on a iMac to edit these episodes. Its working "Okay" editing the AVCHD natively. I am experiencing the usual downfalls with this set up: slow export times, jumpy previews(even at 1/4 res) and AVCHD spanned clip audio issues. It works, just not well. So I have an idea to optimize this edit system using the thunderbolt interface.

Step One: Increase the Ram in the iMac from 4GB to 16GB (Maximum allowed I think). The graphics card in the iMac will allow for using the Mercury Playback engine GPU accelerated.

Step Two: Use the LaCie 5big Thunderbolt™ Series as a online media drive with the iMac's Thunderbolt Port to increase read write speeds. I am hoping this will allow for multiple AVCHD1080p or ProRes 422 streams if I set all SC6 PP Scratch discs and media on this raid.

Step Three: Use the BM UltraStudio Express for CS6 PP Previews and Monitoring(Via Sony Monitor http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/product-LMD2110W/). Because I am using the iMac, only one Thunderbolt port is available. I will daisy chain the BM UltraStudio Express through the LaCie 5big Thunderbolt™ Series. The tech specs say, "Dual 10Gb/s Thunderbolt™ ports for daisy chaining" but is that only for other drives/displays or will it work with other TB divides like the BM UltraStudio Express?

Questions:
1) Will this daisy chained configuration(through the LaCie 5big Thunderbolt™ Series) allow for me to use BM AVCHD Pre sets in CS6 PP with the BM Ultra Studio Express.

2) Will setting the Default Player Video Device (in CS6 PP playback settings) to the Blackmagic Playback and using the Mercury Playback engine GPU accelerated in the video and playback renderer setting give me the best performance. Or does the BM Ultra Studio use its own video and playback renderer when using the BM AVCHD or other preset?

3) I will daisy chain the BM UltraStudio Express through the LaCie 5big Thunderbolt™ Series. The tech specs say, "Dual 10Gb/s Thunderbolt™ ports for daisy chaining" but is that only for other drives/displays or will it work with other TB divides like the BM UltraStudio Express?

4) Is there a BM preset in CS6 for AVCHD that will allow for seamless(Green or Gray timeline or no preview render required) playback of AVCHD using the BM UltraStudio Express?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]