FORUMS: list search recent posts

Atem 1 M/E & Windows 8 & Live Streaming & ???

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Wilhelmi
Atem 1 M/E & Windows 8 & Live Streaming & ???
on Apr 23, 2013 at 4:40:35 am

I'm very close to buying the Atem 1 M/E. There are a few questions I hope to have figured out before I buy though.

1. I don't believe Win 8 is officially supported yet. Have people had good/bad experiences with Win 8 and the software control panel and live streaming via usb3? Looking at buying this for the laptop. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/896181-REG/MSI_ge70_0nd_213us_Intel_i...

2. Can I use the same laptop for the control panel and live streaming at the same time? Ideally the PC I buy can do this, so the laptop I currenctly have(which does not have usb3) can be used for media playback.

3. What else should I consider buying? The cameras I plan using have HD-SDI outputs(Pana HPX170/HPX300/AG-AC160) & maybe HDMI out from Canon 7D. I know eventually there may come a time where I need converter of some kind, but is there any other must have equipment I should think about before I buy?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks
James

Return to posts index

James Wilhelmi
Re: Atem 1 M/E & Windows 8 & Live Streaming & ???
on Apr 23, 2013 at 5:17:01 am

Correction - I see Win 8 is supported. Have you had good or bad expierences with Win 8?

Return to posts index

Robert Foote
on Apr 23, 2013 at 5:15:52 pm

I am not sure what you saw but Windows 8 is not supported for the ATEM1 switcher. I M going through this right now and it's a bit of a headache.
I too bought a decent laptop to do this but it has windows 8 preloaded and Is useless. It will work right up until you plug in the USB3.0 and then you discover that it doesn't work with the switcher. BlackMagic was not a lot of help here other than to tell me that the switcher is not supported by Windows 8. I have ended up going with an HP workstation (the Z620) and it should be here in a few days. This is on the BlackMagic site as a tested and certified unit for the ATEM1.

Return to posts index

James Wilhelmi
on Apr 23, 2013 at 5:45:38 pm

Thanks for the reply Robert. When I go to the website and compare products under tech specs, in the row that says "Control Panel Included", it lists Win 8. So I'm confused by that now. Here is where I see the Win 8 reference.

http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/atem/techspecs?pid1=3971&pid2=3972...

Thanks!
James

Return to posts index

Robert Foote
on Apr 23, 2013 at 6:10:08 pm

I see that and understand your confusion. I have spoken to them several times and they (BlackMagic) keep telling me that it is not compatible for Windows 8. I can see why we are confused as this piece does say it.
If you look at the support notes section for the atem1 they have a list of workstations notebooks etc. that are checked by them to work and they won't offer any support for units that are not those. Strange. Let me know how it works out.

Return to posts index

Robert Foote
on Apr 23, 2013 at 6:28:38 pm

I did not order the control panel but chose to go with software instead. Perhaps the control panel is compatible with windows 8? Unsure.
I did mean the usb3.0 to control the switcher.

Return to posts index

James Wilhelmi
on Apr 23, 2013 at 6:37:31 pm

I see that now. Looks like I'll have to do more research on the PC I need to buy. With a compatible PC, I'll be able to control and capture/stream at the same time? Correct? Thanks again!

James

Return to posts index

Robert Foote
on Apr 26, 2013 at 8:03:35 pm

I did talk to HP about that with the workstation I ordered and they say yes no problem.

Return to posts index

James Wilhelmi
on Apr 27, 2013 at 4:59:47 pm

Ok. Good to hear Robert. Even though this laptop is not officially supported, do you see any reason why it will not work?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&A=details&Q=&sku=926671&...

Thanks
James

Return to posts index

Robert Foote
on Apr 29, 2013 at 9:48:18 pm

Well, if you are wanting to record or work with HD Video, your disc speed needs to be at least 7200rpm over the 5400 in this unit. I would go with 10Kif you can afford it but 7200 is a bare minimum. Preloaded with Windows 7 64 bit, it should work for you. But as with everything, "don't take my word for it", Blackmagic are the guys to ask.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]