FORUMS: list search recent posts

Please evaluate this equipment plan -- I seek your wisdom...

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Golden
Please evaluate this equipment plan -- I seek your wisdom...
on Apr 4, 2013 at 4:52:53 pm

I am the Media Director at a church with a room-full of SD Ikegami, Grass Valley, and Sony cameras, tape decks and a switcher. My Tektronics Sync Generator has failed, (all of this gear is 16 years old or more) and while waiting for help resolving this, I am eyeing another plan.
Does anyone see any red flags with the BlackMagic ATEM 1 1/ME Production Switcher attached to a MacBook Pro. Then my MA-200A Ikegami CCUs attached to BlackMagic Mini-Converters Analog to SDI - and also utilizing the GPI and Tally Interface for ATEM to alert my camera guys?
For camera monitors and Preview and Program monitors I would use a 42" or larger flat screen TV with the HDMI and built-in multi-view.
I've been reading posts about video latency and synchronization with an audio mixer that I already use. Am I going to get frustrated with that issue? Is there anything else that you can think of but I can't? Pitfalls? Benefits?
I am assuming that I don't need to think about sync between sources because of the frame re-synchronizer mentioned in the advertisements.
Thanks for any and all advice.

Return to posts index

Andreas Wojtaschek
Re: Please evaluate this equipment plan -- I seek your wisdom...
on Apr 5, 2013 at 10:44:05 am

Hi Greg,

to make a long story short: The setup with the ATEM and your cameras through converters will work.

Regarding the sync issue:
You should use sync in your case because you already have the technical option if you have CCUs with your cameras. If you sync all gear to a sync generator (BMD offers one), you will get almost no latency at all (just 1 line). With this kind of setup you don't need to worry about audio/video sync problems. Allthough I think the A/D Converters produce a delay of 1 frame.

If you are on budget you could use a ATEM Television Studio rather than a 1ME. The only downside would be that the TVS has no DVE, no aux outputs and not the possibility to play short media clips.

If you have any additional questions pleas let me know it.

Cheers

Andreas

--

Entertainment Producer IHK
mindandvision

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]