FORUMS: list search recent posts

RGB with HDMI or DisplayPort

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Clifton Archuleta
RGB with HDMI or DisplayPort
on Mar 8, 2013 at 12:42:13 am

I'm wondering which Blackmagic solutions provide an RGB signal through HDMI/DisplayPort. I'd like to use something like the Ultrastudio SDI for monitoring, but I need an RGB signal to my monitor. I'm aware that the majority of BM cards/boxes just do YUV, but is the HDLink Pro the only one with RGB? I'm trying to find an alternative to using the HDLink Pro together with a card like the Decklink Studio to achieve an RGB signal to a monitor. 422 8-bit is fine.

Also, is it possible to work in a 23.976 timeline in Resolve but force it to monitor at 59.94 with a pulldown?

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
Re: RGB with HDMI or DisplayPort
on Mar 8, 2013 at 2:55:33 am

[Clifton Archuleta] " I need an RGB signal to my monitor. ... 422 8-bit is fine."

I thought RGB meant 4:4:4?

Alex Gerulaitis
Systems Engineer
DV411 - Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

Clifton Archuleta
Re: RGB with HDMI or DisplayPort
on Mar 8, 2013 at 4:04:52 am

I believe you're right. I was a bit confused earlier and mixed up some stuff I was reading about HDMI handling YCbCr in both 4:4:4 and 4:2:2.

My need for RGB still stands though. I know that many people in the past needed an HDLink Pro or similar that did YUV to RGB conversion in order to use their Dreamcolor with any BM card, but I wasn't sure if any of these products had been updated to handle RGB.

I've gone through the BM website and the forums, trying to find more detailed info on some of the products. Many of the products I'm looking at list "4:2:2" through HDMI and not "4:2:2 YUV" like the Intensity Pro lists. Since they don't list 4:4:4, it seems don't support RGB. It seems strange that it's not supported, since so many other vendors updated their firmware to support RGB in the past few years. Perhaps it keeps the market alive for HDLink since there seems to be a problem with its LUT function(or so I've read).

Ideally, I'd like to find a single card/box(cost effective) solution that would allow me to use Resolve to grade videos destined for the web, perhaps an occasional dvd or bluray. My monitor is hardware calibrated with an i1Display Pro and stores a 14-bit hardware LUT. It has presets for Rec.709, SMPTE-C, EBU, etc. I know it's not a broadcast monitor and I don't do color correction as a job. I've cross-referenced a few projects on it that I've graded on professional broadcast equipment with Resolve and I'm pleased with its quality for my current needs. The issue I now face, is how to not spend $1000 handling a YUV signal to RGB so that I can grade in resolve. Resolve is fast, much faster than anything else I've used and I'd like to make it part of my workflow.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]