FORUMS: list search recent posts

Intenstiy Extreme Output Problems with Avid

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan Hensley
Intenstiy Extreme Output Problems with Avid
on Feb 17, 2013 at 1:22:27 am

Hey all,

I bought an Intensity Extreme mostly to use as a client monitor (with my iMac), specifically with use with Avid Media Composer 6.5. Problem is, it only manages to send signal to my TV when the Avid project is set to 1080i at 59.94. Most of my projects are in 23.98 and progressive.

In Final Cut 7 with the Extreme (I use both depending), there is a 1080P 59.97>23.98 option that works like a charm. Is there such a way to get that with Avid Media Composer? I have tried changing the output settings on the BlackMagic under the settings panel to 1080i while working in a 1080P project, but that doesn't settle the issue. The actual project will only display in 1080i.

Running 9.7 on the Blackmagic Drivers. Thanks for any help!

Return to posts index

Jonathan Hensley
Re: Intenstiy Extreme Output Problems with Avid
on Feb 18, 2013 at 8:45:45 am

UPDATE:

My test project to try this out was one of my first Avid projects from a year ago and was set to 24FPS. Therefore, I only had the option of switching between 1080P and NTSC. I found that NTSC would pass the signal through, but obviously it looked pretty bad.

With a new project I created at 1080P 23.98, the TV still won't display at 1080P, but now a 720P option is available and it will display if I change the format of the project to 720P 23.98. Though not ideal for me, this is bearable for when I have a client in the room for now.

But now I can't get anything to work at all with Premiere Pro 6. Any help on that front would be appreciated. I know it only supports standard resolutions, and I have tried 720P at 59.94, but nothing will pass through the Intensity Extreme Box. Any help on that front would now be appreciated.

Saving up for an AJA IO XT...

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Feb 19, 2013 at 7:28:00 pm

its not the fault of the BM box. Seems like your client monitor doesnt support 1080p at 23.976 or 24.

Thats why in FCP 7 there was an option to have 23.976 to 59.94..unfortunately Avid doesnt have that option so not even the AJA box will help.

Cheapest solutuon would be replace that monitor that supports all the frame rates you need.

Neil Goodman: Editor of New Media Production - NBC/Universal

Return to posts index

Jonathan Hensley
on Feb 19, 2013 at 9:06:16 pm

Hey Neil,

Thanks for your reply. I agree it is my client monitor. With my experience with AJA though, what I am referring to is the ability of the box itself to do output conversions for you so that if I want to work with a 1080 project in Avid, under the AJA control panel, I could set the output to 720P and it would display. With BlackMagic, it only seems to output whatever your project/sequence is set as.

Am I misunderstanding this part of AJA's control panel? I have experience with Kona cards, but primarily with Final Cut Pro 7 which has the Video Output menu inside of the program.

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Feb 20, 2013 at 4:18:56 pm

I may be wrong but Avid might override AJA's control panel? Blackmagic has the some down conversion options too, alas i have never had to use them, but if your saying the Blackmagics downconversions take no effect while in Media Composer, it might be the same case for AJA.

Neil Goodman: Editor of New Media Production - NBC/Universal

Return to posts index

Jonathan Hensley
on Feb 27, 2013 at 5:49:49 pm

Neil,

You may very well be right about Avid and AJA. I've only used Kona's with Final Cut Pro. We're still on FCP at work and I used MC6.5 for side projects on my personal workstation. I'll research is though. I still wonder if Avid would override the output on the "Secondary display" setting in the AJA Control Panel. It would be nice if the BMD had this option, but you get what you get for $300.

UPDATE: I ended up purchasing a new TV (plasma Panasonic) that takes true 24P in, and everything works like a charm now with Avid. I'm still having major issues with Premiere and CS6, but I will post in another thread for those.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Brunson
on Mar 29, 2013 at 8:40:51 am

Just curious what the model number of the TV that you snagged? Or if anyone has any specific model numbers of TVs that will work in this situation.

I am working on a feature that's in a similar situation. Project is in 23.98. We were originally using a rental system until I guess they ran out of money or decided they didn't want to pay for it anymore. They picked up a used Mac Pro with a used DeckLink Extreme HD for a ridiculously low price. But we are currently having a problem monitoring our project.

We don't have the option for HDMI, not part of the card we have.

So we have Component. I've only been able to get a 1080i 59.94 signal on any set (he's brought three others before today). He (the director) picked up an Open Box LG 37" 60hz 1080p LCD (37CS560) today. It did get some kind of signal but it was on the left side of the screen and stretched vertically. I checked all the DeckLink and TV settings but nothing seemed to be out of the ordinary.

Oh, and we are using Avid MC 6.5 on OS X 10.7.

I'm assuming the TV he brought today doesn't fully support 24p. Would getting a 120hz set fix the issue? If I'm wrong, please let me know. If you agree and have a specific TV rec, that's great too.

-Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jonathan Hensley
on Apr 17, 2013 at 10:35:18 pm

Hey Jared,

Sorry for not responding sooner.

The problem in your case is not the TV, but the cables. Component cables are only capable of doing up to 1080i at 59.97. They are not able to support progressive 1080 outputs.

The only progressive HD signals you can send through them are at 720P. You will need an HDMI (or HD-SDI) to get a 24FPS signal.

http://www.jshensley.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]