FORUMS: list search recent posts

Decklink HD Extreme 2 - Left channel out by +6 on Audio meters

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alistair Ferguson
Decklink HD Extreme 2 - Left channel out by +6 on Audio meters
on Feb 5, 2013 at 11:04:19 pm

I've just bought a new set of PPMs to hook up to my Decklink HD Extreme 2 card which is running happily on my Mac Pro with Avid 6.5

As I've never used a set of PPMs with the card I was astounded to see that they read that the left channel was out by +6 db!

Thinking it might be the PPMs at fault I took them to a friends facilities and they of course read perfectly to his own set and reacted as they should. I've brought them back to my machine now and if I swap over the cabling I get the exact same results on the right channel this time, out by +6 - so it is definitely the output of this one channel by the card.

It's not a cabling issue either as I get the same results if I connect right to the card with no other cables in between.

So just to recap in the Avid I have HW calibration set to -18 as well the Audio tool set to -18 (I'm in the UK), Avid is set to output Stereo 1-2 = I'm outputting 1k and the PPMs are reading 4 on right channel but barely over 2 on the left. If I use the BMD hardware settings, and add +6db on the left channel everything becomes as it should.... I have no doubts that the PPMS are reading right so it looks like the card is outputting in-correctly but exactly +6 out... Has anyone any idea about this?

Also to note I would never be laying anything off to tape with this card so the audio monitoring is more for my own use, but is very confusing... I'm happy that by injecting the +6 it fixes the situation but surely this shouldn't be required?

Return to posts index

Alistair Ferguson
Re: Decklink HD Extreme 2 - Left channel out by +6 on Audio meters
on Feb 6, 2013 at 1:59:04 pm

Just to let anyone reading this know, I was moving cables about and took out the breakout cable to safely move things. On close inspection one of the pins close to the edge had a slight bend, not much but not right in comparison to the rest - I straightened it out with a pair of long nose pliers and it's done the trick and fixed it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]