FORUMS: list search recent posts

No ProRes 422 available on Blackmagic UltraStudio Express?

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mick Kalber
No ProRes 422 available on Blackmagic UltraStudio Express?
on Jan 23, 2013 at 11:50:12 am

Just hooked up Blackmagic UltraStudio Express to my 27-inch iMac running FCP 6... batch capturing a few clips for a project that has many, many clips captured at ProRes 422. But the only resolution I see is ProRes 422 HQ... no ProRes 422. Is ProRes 422 simply not available or what? So do I go ahead and capture at HQ and then convert to 422? Resolutions in timeline must match to play, right? Or will 422 play with 422 HQ? If I must convert, what is the easiest method? Will have about 250 clips to convert. Mahalo for assistance in advance!

Mick Kalber
Tropical Visions Video, Inc.
Hilo, Hawaii

Return to posts index

Chad Brewer
Re: No ProRes 422 available on Blackmagic UltraStudio Express?
on Jan 23, 2013 at 7:36:32 pm

Mick,

Blackmagic's "easy setups" that install with their drivers have the capture presets as ProRes 422HQ by default.

Simply go to the capture presets in your FCP A/V settings, duplicate the one you are using and give this new one a different name so it's distinguishable, and change its compressor to 422 from 422HQ.

Make sure you have this preset selected whenever you are digitizing and and you'll get your clips at 422 (and save a lot of hard drive space).

Chad Brewer
Senior Videotape Operator
TeleVersions, LLC - Chicago

Return to posts index

Mick Kalber
on Jan 23, 2013 at 8:21:55 pm

Thanks so much, Chad... I'll give that a shot.

Mick Kalber
Hilo, Hawaii

Return to posts index

Mick Kalber
on Jan 24, 2013 at 11:34:54 pm

Chad... I think I understand the concept. But when I go to A/V Settings under FCP, I get a drop down that allows me to select Sequence Preset, Capture Preset, Device Control Preset, etc. when I click on Capture Preset, it shows me all the available presets... but I can't right click on the one I'm using... right or left click simply selects that preset and enters it into the A/V settings box. I can't figure out how to duplicate it. What am I doing wrong?

Mick Kalber
Hilo, Hawaii

Return to posts index

Mick Kalber
on Jan 25, 2013 at 3:57:31 am

OK... think I got it. The duplicate button is available on the specific tabs... capture presets, sequence presets, etc. I think I did it right... testing batch capture now and so far so good. Really appreciate your help... sorry I was so slow on the uptake. Aloha,

Mick Kalber
Hilo, Hawaii

Return to posts index

Mick Kalber
on Jan 30, 2013 at 10:43:29 pm

I thot all was well with my batch capture... but alas, not. Followed ur instructions, Chad...changed ProRes 422HQ to ProRes 422. Saved it and selected it as video setup when batch digitizing. But ProRes 422HQ comes in the batch capture window in spite of my selection. Even when unchecking use logged clip settings, HQ still shows up. What am I doing wrong? Mahalo in advance.

Mick Kalber
Hilo, Hawaii

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]