FORUMS: list search recent posts

ATEM TV studio low quality computer capture

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nathan Adam
ATEM TV studio low quality computer capture
on Jan 20, 2013 at 12:21:32 am

Just got an ATEM TV studio for multi-cam shoots that also have at least one 1080p feed from Macbook>DVI to HDMI cable straight to an input of the ATS.

Using media express to capture the computer signal (and switch between the camcorders), the resulting captured MOV looks rather low res (small text is blurry, lines are blurry) like there's a resolution or interlacing happening. I've tried every video preset and quality setting (both the Native and the I-device presets in the preferences).

Any ideas? Is this really as good as it can capture a computer 1920x1080 signal?

Here's a link to a still of the captured signal. It looks like a half-res capture of a 1080 signal at best.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p7bcl0djrgtm3d4/blackmagic-atem-tv-studio-low-qua...

Return to posts index

Andreas Wojtaschek
Re: ATEM TV studio low quality computer capture
on Jan 20, 2013 at 10:15:49 am

The TVS captures always a compressed signal over USB2. It is always a H264 compression between 1,5 and 20MBit. It cannot be as good as the original signal due to the compression.

The second thing is, that there is still a very big issue with the H264 encoder that the TVS contains. It cannot record interlaced signals (f.e. 1080i) and does some very bad deinterlacing. Actually it just throws away every second line. You get half the resolution of your original signal. BMD knows about this issue but doesn't do anything to solve this.

This is true for the TVS and for the H264 recorder, which renders these recoding options absolutely useless in my opinion. You could try to use the MXLight software to record from the TVS. It offers some options that Media Express doesn't. But you will never get a broadcast quality recording out of your TVS, unless you use an external recorder that is connected via HD-SDI or HDMI (like the Hyperdeck).

Cheers

Andreas

--

Entertainment Producer IHK
mindandvision

Return to posts index

Tomas Macek
on Feb 11, 2015 at 2:49:12 pm

Hi Adam,

wa have the same issue with Atem TV Studio. Two times, absolutelly randomly, we have got 100 % quality output. See http://atemuser.com/forums/atem-vision-mixers/blackmagic-atems/atem-tv-stud...

Have you resolved this issue?

Regards,

Tom

Return to posts index

Nathan Adam
on Feb 11, 2015 at 3:56:27 pm

Unfortunately not. For people using the ATEM with a lot of 1080p screens and small text/images to share, the ATEM does not seem to be the right unit. Which is so crazy pointless...I'm sure they've sold plenty, but it could have been a game changer for products like we make.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]