FORUMS: list search recent posts

Premiere Pro and Decklink 10 Bit Playback is 8 bit bandwith.

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Jay
Premiere Pro and Decklink 10 Bit Playback is 8 bit bandwith.
on Jan 17, 2013 at 5:03:23 pm

I'm surprised this issue is ignored for a long time. I've posted this issue before and it's confirmed by more people.
I'm posting this in the Premiere Pro and the Blackmagic Design forum.

Problem: Adobe Premiere CS6 ( latest version, latest decklink driver on 10.8.2. ) does NOT output a 10 Bit image on a 10 Bit Monitor with 10 Bit sequence and footage.

I can guarantee that anyone with a 10 Bit SDI monitoring system will be able to reproduce this problem.

Here is a 10 Bit ProRes 444 animated gradient movie.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z1fotwb6p3c4fj7/10%20Bit%20YUV%20ProRes444%20Grad...

Import this file in Premiere Pro. Match sequence. ( or do a custom 10 bit YUV sequence , doesn't matter )

Render the sequence and playback with Decklink or other I/O card.

You will see BANDING in the gradient. It's an 8 bit band image.

If you do the same in FCP 7 or X. You will see a perfect, smooth, 10 bit image on your 10 bit reference monitor

I would like Adobe or Blackmagic to respond to this issue, because this means that you are laying off tape in 8 bit.

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Sareesh Sudhakaran
Re: Premiere Pro and Decklink 10 Bit Playback is 8 bit bandwith.
on Jan 18, 2013 at 3:51:14 am

I have a question: What do you mean by "render this sequence"? What are you rendering to, and why?

And what are your project settings in Premiere? I realize you have already written about this earlier: http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/3/928986

Why not try a different 10-bit source? Forget Prores and FCP originated content and try it on a TIFF image created via Photoshop.

Also, can you reproduce this problem on a windows machine?

http://www.wolfcrow.com - Workflow information and support for filmmakers, photographers, audiographers and videographers.

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
on Jan 18, 2013 at 9:46:47 am

What i mean is Rendering the sequence. Not exporting. Just render the sequence itself in full quality.
If you add a gradient generator in a 10 bit sequence in FCP7. The render bar is green.
This means high quality but not maximum quality. You need to render first in full quality to actually see the 10 bit quality on realtime AJA or Blackmagic playback.

Okay. Interesting results.

In Photoshop you can only create 8 or 16 bit.
16 Bit Tiff files cannot be imported in Premiere.
So i tried a 16 bit gradient PSD file.

Imported the file in a 10 Bit YUV sequence in Premiere.
Rendered the sequence in Full Quality
Now i see a smooth 10 bit image on my 10 Bit Monitor.

Next i tried After Effects.
Created a 1920x1080 comp. 16 bit Project Settings.
Checked the Blackmagic Playback settings. They are 10 bit.
Imported the 16 bit PSD file.
Result: 8 bit banding on the monitor.

Anyone with After Effects and a AJA or Blackmagic can test this.
Just create Solid and Add a Generator> RAMP.

It will be 8 bit on a 10 bit monitor.

Return to posts index

Sareesh Sudhakaran
on Jan 18, 2013 at 12:48:58 pm

Paul, you did get 10-bit in Premiere in the first test, so the result shows at least that it is capable of it.

In the second test, you do realize that a 16-bit image will cause banding on a 10-bit monitor. What color space was your gradient in? What ICC profile? What profile are you using to view this in AE? Import this AE project into Premiere - what results do you see?

Unfortunately, I don't use a BM or AJA card. Do you have a 10-bit GPU that you can compare it to?

http://www.wolfcrow.com - Workflow information and support for filmmakers, photographers, audiographers and videographers.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]