FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blackmagic Ultrascope and Teranex 2D

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Zelin
Blackmagic Ultrascope and Teranex 2D
on Jan 16, 2013 at 7:01:27 pm

It works -
here is how to get it to work, even thought it is NOT described in any manual.

1) you need a Mac Mini running OS X 10.8, a Teranex 2D and a Thunderbolt cable running between
the Mini and the Teranex.
2) you MUST load both the Ultrascope software for Mac, AND the Teranex software for Mac on the
Mac Mini. No where in the manuals does it say that you must have the Teranex software for Mac loaded on the Mac Mini.

Put your HD-SDI video into the Teranex, run the Ultrascope software on the Mac Mini, and you now have a Mac based Ultrascope with Waveform Monitor/Vectorscope/Audio meter functions, which works wonderfully. I keep the teranex in default unity position, so as not to deter the readings.

While more expensive than the Pocket Ultrascope with a (now non existent USB3 PC with compatible chipset), the Teranex/Mac Mini Ultrascope is STILL the cheapest way to build a HD waveform vectorscope on the market - a fraction of the price of Leader, Tektronix, Harris, etc.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
Re: Blackmagic Ultrascope and Teranex 2D
on Jan 16, 2013 at 7:27:52 pm

The one issue here is the teranex is always processing the signal... so you're not getting a true scope of what's coming in through input. But rather seeing what's going out after processing.

This is true even when the input standard and output standard are the same. ;/

Colorist | Online Editor | Post Super | VFX Artist | BD Author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 16, 2013 at 11:23:22 pm

at about $2500 for a complete, modern solution - it's GOOD ENOUGH - it's not exactly what I want, but it works, and it doesn't cost $6000 or more. Yes, I can put in a HP Z420 and a $600 Ultrascope card with the right graphics card, but this is an easy solution.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Sareesh Sudhakaran
on Jan 18, 2013 at 3:34:04 am

Quick question, Rob: Isn't this similar to the BMD Mini recorder? http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/ultrastudio/

Or how's this different from a hd-sdi splitter? Wouldn't it be better to monitor a signal at source, as well as after processing?

http://www.wolfcrow.com - Workflow information and support for filmmakers, photographers, audiographers and videographers.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 18, 2013 at 7:26:29 am

Hi Sareesh,
the BMD Mini Recorder will not work with Ultrascope software. I will try the BMD Mini Recorder with ScopeBox, but I have tried ScopeBox with the AJA I/O XT, and it's not the same acccurate graticules that Ultrascope offers. So at this moment, you either get a desktop PC with the Ultrascope PCIe board, or you do the MacMini/Teranex with Ultrascope software.

So, why doesn't Mini Recorder work with Ultrascope - don't ask me - ask Blackmagic !

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Sareesh Sudhakaran
on Jan 18, 2013 at 12:58:41 pm

LOL, I know better than to ask a manufacturer for info. I'm actually worried they'll oblige, and make it too easy!

Before I forget, thanks a ton for the info!

http://www.wolfcrow.com - Workflow information and support for filmmakers, photographers, audiographers and videographers.

Return to posts index

Mike Woodworth
on Jan 26, 2013 at 10:37:47 pm

Hey Bob,

I'm curious why you think ScopeBox's graticles are less accurate than Ultrascope's. I don't wanna hijack this thread, but I'd love to discuss your concerns over email.

mike
--
Mike Woodworth
mike@divergentmedia.com

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
on Jan 18, 2013 at 10:12:45 am

So all we need now is a Thunderbolt Pocket Ultrascope edition for 600 dollar.

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Jan 18, 2013 at 4:40:16 pm

New macs have usb3. Would be nice if BMD updated ultrascope drivers with USB3 support for macs.

Colorist | Online Editor | Post Super | VFX Artist | BD Author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 18, 2013 at 5:23:55 pm

Boy, I sure hope that Blackmagic continues to develop and distribute Ultrascope, as it is SUCH an important product for my client base. I hope that Blackmagic addresses other important issues, such as network interface to all of their products, like Teranex, etc. That is the direction of this entire industry, and I hope the keep that in mind with everything that they develop and release (just like they currently do for
the ATEM series, and Videohub products).

As Blackmagic continues to grow, I hope that they continue to keep professionals in mind (like Adobe does) and not try to become a consumer company (like Apple). Videohub, ATEM, HyperDeck, SmartView, the mini converters and OpenGear as well as Ultrascope are so important to me and my business now, I hope they don't lose site of this market.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Brandon Kraemer
on May 31, 2013 at 6:11:20 pm

Bob,

Do you know if it's possible to hook up the Teranex to the Mini via a Thunderbolt hub?

bk

Return to posts index

Eric Geppner
on Nov 6, 2013 at 4:57:53 pm

Bob, how are you plugging in the monitor on the MacMini? HDMI?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]