FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can someone tell me why the BMD decklink does this?

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hop Litzwire
Can someone tell me why the BMD decklink does this?
on Jan 15, 2013 at 11:49:04 pm

So, I've edited for over 20 years (jeez) on a few different platforms, and with all of them, when it comes to 1080i, they've acccepted the "upper field first" standard, but the BMD combined with Premiere seems to render things differently for correct output to decks and monitors. For example, in the case of 1080i/24p stuff (i.e., 24p footage processed in-camera for 1080i/29.97 output, with it's usual 3 progressive and 2 interlaced frames), both my Avids and my old Matrox Axio simply the capture the 1080i footage correctly as-is and output it as-is. With the Declink (I'm using an Extreme 3D card), in order for it to look right and output to the monitors and decks correctly as the other systems would, you actually have to interpret the captured footage as having "No Fields." This will allow the 1080i/24p footage to go from a 3:2 cadence that is basically 4 progressive and 1 repeat frame, which renders a more stuttered look, to the proper 3 progressive, 2 interlaced cadence. I've tried a number of different 1080i sequences in Premiere, and no matter which one I use, it will look wrong until I interpret the normally "Upper Fields" footage as "No Fields." Anyone have any idea why this is. Of course, I was luckily able to figure this out and get back to working as I'm used to, but I don't get why this would be different from other systems.

Hop

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]