FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ingesting VHS tape with decklink HD extreme 2

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
toby Heslop
Ingesting VHS tape with decklink HD extreme 2
on Jan 3, 2013 at 12:55:27 am

So I have a little problem that I'm hoping someone here may be able to help me with. I'm ingesting some VHS tape using a BM Decklink HD Xtreme 2 via a macpro/media express/FCP.

I have 2 copies of the media on VHS, the original media is NTSC, and the 2nd is a duplicate PAL version that was aquired though a standards conversion done at the ABC networks in Sydney a while ago.

Whne I play the Pal VHS version on my TV everything seems to be working OK (Vision & sound). Same goes for the NTSC version on a TV.

When I try to ingest the PAL version through decklink (Analog) I get stuttery black frames showing on the preview. the NTSC version works fine.

Each time I am setting up the capture to reflect the correct format so this is not an issue. It seems to be something with the PAL version that has had it's standards changed. But being an analog signal I would have though if it is playing OK on my TV then it should do the same thing if I try to ingest this same analog signal.

Does anyone have an idea why this would not be the case?

MacPro 2010, 16TB Mini SAS RAID, BM Decklink HD, CS6, Resolve 9, AVID MC, Red Epic

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
Re: Ingesting VHS tape with decklink HD extreme 2
on Jan 3, 2013 at 9:18:22 pm

just to clarify that your versions are what you have been told they are.

I'm assuming you are in an NTSC country

Are you playing vhs' through a box that can handle pal VHS tapes? If you are, then great, if you are just playing it in a good old fashioned VHS machine, than, it shouldn't be able to play a PAL tape.

The fact that it is playing a PAL vhs, has me wondering if the tape is a PAL converted to NTSC, and that is why it is playing on your tv.

As far as i know, you shouldn't be able to play a PAL vhs tape on an NTSC machine, in an NTSC country, and see a picture on an NTSC TV.

Try setting your decklink to NTSC and run the PAL tape through it.

Glenn

Return to posts index

toby Heslop
on Jan 3, 2013 at 9:29:54 pm

I'm in a PAL country, Using a VHS machine that plays PAL or NTSC. Playing through a production monitor that plays PAL or NTSC.

I have the VHS machine set to auto format and it reads Pal for the pal for the Pal tape and NTSC for the NTSC tape. Same for the Monitor.

The original studio mastered tape is NTSC. The PAL tape has been run through a standards conversion at a broadcasters place.

When setup on the ingest suite as NTSC workflow, the NTSC tape displays fine.

When setup on the ingest suite as PAL workflow, the PAL tape displays stuttery black frames all through it

MacPro 2010, 16TB Mini SAS RAID, BM Decklink HD, CS6, Resolve 9, AVID MC, Red Epic

Return to posts index

Paolo Castellano
on Jan 4, 2013 at 10:07:42 pm

Hi Toby,
have you added a TBC into your workflow (between the player and the Decklink)?
If you don't have a TBC, try adding in the workflow another device that may have an integrated one (i.e. a Panasonic DVD recorder).
Best Regards,

Paolo Castellano
http://www.ivsEdits.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]