FORUMS: list search recent posts

using HDMI to SDI Mini Converter with Go Pro

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Kujbida
using HDMI to SDI Mini Converter with Go Pro
on Dec 14, 2012 at 3:29:54 pm

I browsed this forum but didn't find what I needed so I'm asking the group.
I use a NewTek Tricaster 300 for recording live events (HD SDI camera inputs) and have been asked to record a show using a Go Pro 2 as one of the cameras.
The Go Pro has an HDMI Output and Black Magic has the HDMI to SDI Mini Converter that seems like it will do the job but I want to make sure before I buy one.
Has anyone successfully tried this before?
Thanks.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: using HDMI to SDI Mini Converter with Go Pro
on Dec 16, 2012 at 10:19:31 pm

Yes it works.

Another very expensive option I have seen is a GoPro connected to a KiPro via HDMI. Send SDI out to the Tricaster from the KiPro.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Dec 17, 2012 at 2:39:57 am

Thanks Steve. I had a dealer tell me that it would work but I like confirmation from folks that have actually done it :)

Return to posts index

Mike Squires
on Dec 17, 2012 at 6:39:32 pm

Be forewarned, if you connect the GoPro 2 directly to the BMD HDMI-to-SDI mini-converter, and you have it set to 1080 in the GoPro, the mini-converter will set it to 1080p, not 1080i. Not sure if the TriCaster supports 1080p or not.

I believe 720p works just fine.

If you need 1080i out of the GoPro, you need to use a Gefen HDMI Detective in-between the GoPro and the mini-converter. Obviously, after you've set up the HDMI Detective (stored the EDID from the TriCaster).

Return to posts index

Patrick Sproule
on Dec 21, 2012 at 12:50:49 am

We did it at a recent OB. Go Pro 2 to a BMD HDMI to SDI convertor to our BMD router and then into a Snell and Wilcox Kahuna in our van. We were running in 720P50 though.

Pat

Return to posts index

Rob Burkhardt
on Dec 31, 2013 at 5:21:33 pm

Mike did you ever get your GoPro to work with the BMD mini converter?
I just bought a BMD battery hdmi to sdi and I can't get it to talk to the go pro. I have tested every thing else in the system.

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Jan 2, 2014 at 2:07:24 pm

Sorry Rob but we had all kinds of issues trying to get it to work with the Tricaster (lag, latency, etc.) that we gave up on it.

Return to posts index

Rob Burkhardt
on Jan 3, 2014 at 2:55:33 am

Thanks Mike I watched a video from Midtown Video in Florida and they said the Hero 2 would work with the AJA converter.
But from what you just posted I will still have problems at the switcher?
I want to mount some small cameras in various places during sporting events. Did you try any other type of camera?

Rob

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Jan 6, 2014 at 2:01:30 pm

Rob, the GoPro was the only small camera we tried. The Tricaster works great with our JVC HM-700 (HD-SDI input) series cameras and we have plugged in other SD cameras (composite input) with no issues.

Return to posts index

Rob Burkhardt
on Jan 7, 2014 at 5:16:01 pm

Thanks Mike
I think I am going to buy a couple of HD palm cameras of eBay for around 50 bucks each then. I'll let you know if they work.

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Jan 7, 2014 at 5:30:19 pm

Good luck Rob. I've looked at a few different models of those and have been impressed with what I've seen so I'll be interested in how you like them.

Return to posts index

Rob Burkhardt
on Mar 27, 2014 at 10:45:43 pm

I just wanted to give everybody an up date on my GoPro HDMI to SDI converter issues. I finally got it to work with the AJA converter box, but it has to be the last thing turned on in the chain and it will not transmit on wifi and output to HDMI at the same time, and it has to be turned on last. I was using the wifi to view set up of the various frame rates and check my picture.
That means you can check your setup with either HDMI or wifi, but you have to shut off the camera and tuyrn it back on with wifi disabled for the AJA to lock to it.
I had a brief signal with the BMD devices but had to return them before I could do any more trouble shooting so this may be the same issue.
And I tried a hero3 white addition and couldn't lock to it but the cameras wifi was turned on.

Return to posts index

James Zhang
on Jun 20, 2014 at 8:35:53 am

My friend has same trouble with you several months ago. He told me that he solved this problems by Google. he serched some answers by Google. https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=hdgenius ,Maybe you can have a try !

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]