FORUMS: list search recent posts

Which Video card?

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Johan Windh
Which Video card?
on Nov 21, 2012 at 4:09:45 pm

Hi guys,

We are considering a BM Video Card for editing and effects.

We work predominately in FCP, Color and AE.

The material is mostly from the following cameras: Sony EX1, Various DSLRs, Sony F3 and Samuraj logged material. At the moment we are not looking for anything higher than 1080p.

The specs on the machine we´re upgrading are:

Mac Pro
Quad-Core Intel Xeon
2,8 GHz
CPU´s: 2
Cores: 8
L2-cache (per CPU): 12 MB
ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT
RAM: 16 GB
1,6 GHz

Any tips on the optimal BM card for these criterias would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Johan

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
Re: Which Video card?
on Nov 22, 2012 at 3:35:25 am

What is the purpose of the card? If monitoring, what monitor is it?

Alex Gerulaitis
Systems Engineer
DV411 - Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

Sareesh Sudhakaran
on Nov 22, 2012 at 4:39:22 am

Maybe you've seen it already, but BMD has an excellent configurations guide: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com%2Fmedia%2F2384470%2FDaVinci_Resolve_Mac_Con...

http://www.wolfcrow.com - Workflow information and support for filmmakers, photographers, audiographers and videographers.

Return to posts index

Johan Windh
on Nov 22, 2012 at 8:16:24 am

Thanks Sareesh, bu the link does not seem to work.

The main monitor is a JVC model no. DT-V24L1D.

Kind Regards,

Johan

Return to posts index

Sareesh Sudhakaran
on Nov 22, 2012 at 8:39:13 am

Here's the link: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/media/4965548/Resolve_Mac_Config_Guide_2012...

If it still doesn't work, you can find it under 'Support' on their website. Your monitor has DVI-D, you can feed it off the graphics card. Get an ATI GPU capable of 10-bit.

But if you want an SDI pipeline, look at Decklink SDI or Duo. It depends on your setup, and the cameras you mentioned all have file-based workflows so I don't see the point of wasting money on SDI cards just to drive a monitor. Hope this helps.

http://www.wolfcrow.com - Workflow information and support for filmmakers, photographers, audiographers and videographers.

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Nov 22, 2012 at 9:19:42 am

[Sareesh Sudhakaran] ".... I don't see the point of wasting money on SDI cards just to drive a monitor."

Sareesh,

Have you found Premiere Pro full screen monitoring adequate? I haven't: panning sequences have ripping in them, as if it's a sort of a rolling shutter effect - absent when the same video is played through BMD Intensity Shuttle, for instance.

Not sure I can trust Premiere Pro's FS output (along with the OS, graphics card driver and hardware and everything else involved) for accurate monitoring, even if they say it's color accurate.

Alex Gerulaitis
Systems Engineer
DV411 - Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Nov 22, 2012 at 9:12:05 am

[Johan Windh] "The main monitor is a JVC model no. DT-V24L1D"

Love that monitor. If I remember right, the "D" model has SDI in and pass-through?

In that case, and assuming you don't need hardware scaling or down conversion, Decklink SDI will do.

Alex Gerulaitis
Systems Engineer
DV411 - Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

Johan Windh
on Nov 26, 2012 at 8:15:19 am

Thank you for the response gentlemen. Yes the monitor´s got the SDI and passthrough. :)

However, I do need a good card to handle AE in a decent way, or maybe OpenGL is not the way to go in AE..

Kind Regards,

Johan

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Nov 26, 2012 at 8:43:34 am

[Johan Windh] "However, I do need a good card to handle AE in a decent way, or maybe OpenGL is not the way to go in AE.."

Could you explain, what you mean by "handle AE in a decent way"?

Possibly you are looking for a graphics, and not a video I/O card?

Alex Gerulaitis
Systems Engineer
DV411 - Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]