FORUMS: list search recent posts

Quick question about an old product

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Morrison
Quick question about an old product
on Nov 7, 2012 at 7:31:32 pm

My main edit suite took a massive power surge and every single component inside is fried. I'm trying to cobble together a temporary system to limp me through until replacement hardware arrives and I have a quick question.

I have an older Decklink SP card laying around... will it work on windows 7 with Adobe Master Collection CS4? And if so, where could I snag drivers...or does this card use the same driver set as all the newer decklink cards?

Return to posts index

Andreas Wojtaschek
Re: Quick question about an old product
on Nov 7, 2012 at 7:44:20 pm

I think the card should work with the recen Decklink drivers. But have in mind that the old PCI Decklink cards can't work with more than 3GB of RAM. If you want to be on the secure side use Win7/32Bit.

If you use Win7/64Bit and more than 3GB of ram all you get is an empty black screen on your Decklink card.

Cheers

Andreas

--

Entertainment Producer IHK
mindandvision

Return to posts index

Matt Morrison
on Nov 7, 2012 at 7:54:10 pm

Thank you for the information!

Are you 100% sure about the 3GB of ram part though? I know the older WinXP system that I had the card in originally had 4GB. Granted the OS only addressed something like 3.5, but that's still over 3.

Return to posts index

Chris Pearse
on Nov 8, 2012 at 1:22:59 am

Hi Matt,

This is indeed a limitation of the PCI DeckLink cards. Because they were designed before addressing more than 4GB was common, they will not work when more than a total of 4GB RAM is available in the system. But this also includes other types of memory such as VRAM. If you were to have 4GB of RAM in Win7 64bit, you would see 4GB available, but anything like VRAM pushes it over 4GB, and the DeckLink SP would stop working.

PCIe versions of the older DeckLink cards should not have this same problem however, it only affects PCI as far as I am aware.

Chris Pearse
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]