FORUMS: list search recent posts

Decklink Studio doesn't get recognised

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Felix Schmilinsky
Decklink Studio doesn't get recognised
on Oct 22, 2012 at 3:04:40 am

I bought a used Decklink Studio card on eBay (I assume it isn't Decklink Studio 2) and put it in my system on which I run Mac OsX 10.7.4 as well as Windows 7 (64bit). In neither of those operating systems I got the card to work. I tried the most recent drivers 9.6.6 but then went also back to 9.5.3 since I read somewhere that those are more stable apparently.

Here the specs for my computer:

Asus P9X79 Pro Mainboard
Intel i7 3960x CPU
4x4GB Corsair 1,600MHz RAM
MSI GeForce GTX 580 3GB GPU
Gigabyte GeForce 210 GT (for GUI)
Corsair SSD's for system drives
IEEE1394/Firewire Interface Card (PCIe)
Broadcom Wifi Adapter (PCIe)

In none of my software the card is available for playback or capturing (Davinci Resolve 9.02, FCP 7, Premiere Pro Cs6, After Effects Cs6, ...). I also tried the Blackmagic Multibridge Utility and the Control Panel but I cannot change any of the settings as if the card isn't recognised by the computer.

Can you please advise me on this issue, since I need to consider to return the card to the seller? Is there any incompatibility issue known about my setup (hardware/OS)? Are there any recommendations which PCIe slot to use in the computer? Due to my other cards I am slightly limited of where to put it. At the moment it is in the 3rd slot from the top - a PCIe x16 v3 slot. That is right underneath the main GPU which takes the top two slots!

Any help appreciated!!!
Thanks
Felix

Return to posts index

David Baud
Re: Decklink Studio doesn't get recognised
on Oct 22, 2012 at 4:05:35 am

On the mac OS side, since you are using a hackintosh, your best bet is to find someone who runs it as well. I don't think Blackmagic will support it.
On the PC side, have you look at the recommended hardware and software from BM site/drivers info? They have a PDF configuration manual where they list compatibilities.

Also do you have access to a mac? it might be worth it just to make sure the card is working to plug it in and run the test.

Best,

David Baud
Post & VFX
KOSMOS PRODUCTIONS
Denver - Paris
http://www.kosmos-productions.com

Return to posts index

Felix Schmilinsky
on Oct 22, 2012 at 1:49:27 pm

Hi David,
thanks for taking the time to reply.

In the Davinci Resolve Config Guide (is that what you meant?) my Asus P9X79 PRO main board and the GTX 580 GPU are listed as compatible components. Unfortunately it doesn't list the Decklink Studio, only Decklink HD Extreme 3D & UltraStudio SDI. But I had read in forums of people successfully using other devices such as the Intensity products from BMD and other cards. Is there an unofficial list of compatible cards?

Nevertheless it should still be working within Final Cut, Premiere and other programs as stated on the capture card's packaging.

I know there is a Decklink Studio 2 out, but can anybody tell me the exact difference to version 1? On the web I could not find any specific information on that.

Unfortunately I don't have access to a genuine MacPro which I can experiment with.

my config:
i7 3960x, 16GB RAM, Asus P9X79 Pro, MSI GTX 580 (3GB) & GeForce 210 (1GB), Decklink Studio
OSX 10.7.4 & Windows 7 64bit

Return to posts index

Paolo Castellano
on Oct 23, 2012 at 9:49:37 am

Hi Felix,
are you sure that your card is not faulty? Are you sure that your Decklink Studio is the 1 and not the 2?

If I'm not wrong the DS1 was very similar to the DS2 but it didn't featured HDMI and SDI (hardware) downconverter.

Best Regards,

Paolo.Castellano@ivs.it
http://www.ivsEdits.com
-----------------------
"Post Fata Resurgo"

Return to posts index

Felix Schmilinsky
on Oct 22, 2012 at 3:27:17 pm

Hi David,
thanks for taking the time to reply.

In the Davinci Resolve Config Guide (is that what you meant?) my Asus P9X79 PRO main board and the GTX 580 GPU are listed as compatible components. Unfortunately it doesn't list the Decklink Studio, only . But I had read in forums of people using other models such as Intensity Pro etc.

My system fulfills all requirements for Blackmagic Desktop Video.

(DeckLink, Intensity and Multibridge products

• Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion or later.
• Mac OS X 10.7.3 Lion or later.
• A suitable PCIe slot - PCIe x1 lane cards should work in any slot. PCIe x4 lane cards require a x4 lane or faster PCI Express slot.
• 4 GB of system memory.
)

Nevertheless it should still be working within Final Cut, Premiere and other programs as stated on the capture card's packaging.

I know there is a Decklink Studio 2 out, but can anybody tell me the exact difference to version 1? On the web I could not find any specific information on that.

Unfortunately I don't have access to a genuine MacPro which I can experiment with.

----------
London, UK
----------
i7 3960x, 16GB RAM, Asus P9X79 Pro, MSI GTX 580 (3GB) & GeForce 210 (1GB), Decklink Studio

Return to posts index

Felix Schmilinsky
on Nov 4, 2012 at 1:06:39 am

[David Baud] "do you have access to a mac? it might be worth it just to make sure the card is working to plug it in and run the test."

Hey David,

I finally managed to test the card in a genuine Mac Pro tower. The same result: within the Black Magic Media Express software and the Multibridge Utility it said "No Device Attached". What I couldn't do so far when testing the card, was connecting a monitor via SDI or HDMI to the card. Could this potentially cause the message "No device attached" to pop up and the card actually works?

The eBay seller also doesn't reply to my messages which is not very encouraging either.

----------
London, UK
----------

Return to posts index

Felix Schmilinsky
on Oct 25, 2012 at 10:23:40 am

I received a response from Blackmagic Support team. They say that the X79 chipset has not been tested and certified by Blackmagic for the Decklink Studio 2 (I found out: it is the version 2, that I have).

The only chipsets they certified and they do recommend are: X58 and P55 chipsets. Furthermore they asked to upgrade the BIOS and install all recent Windows 7 updates.

My next step will be to run the card in a different computer to see if it pops up in the Device Manager. I just have to find someone willing to provide their computer for a couple of hours.

I will keep you posted. Thanks for the responses so far!
Felix

----------
London, UK
----------

Return to posts index

Paolo Castellano
on Oct 25, 2012 at 11:50:18 pm

Hi Felix,
I'm using the Decklink Studio 2 on the Asus P9X79 (X79 very similar to yours P9X79 PRO, the main difference is a PCI vs. a PCI-E slot) since 10 months without any problems.
For multi-cam purposes we use more than one Decklink Studio 2 on the same X79

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=271732809576991&set=a.2557163745119...

If you can't find the PC and you'd like to make a vacation, you can came here to test your card (Napoli):-)

Ciao,

Paolo.Castellano@ivs.it
-----------------------
"Post Fata Resurgo"

Return to posts index

Felix Schmilinsky
on Nov 21, 2012 at 4:43:36 pm

After having tested the card in a MacPro computer, it still didn't show up. I contacted the seller as well as the manufacturer Blackmagic Design.

The seller said he used it in a Dell workstation and found out later that his computer was not compatible with the card. Therefore he put it on eBay to sell.

After giving the manufacturer all the details, they had the suspicion that the Dell computer might have damaged the card's firmware and offered testing and potential replacement since the card was still under warranty. Blackmagic offered free return shipping and UPS picked up the card the same day.

Today, exactly a week later, I received a brand-new Decklink Studio 2 card. Yay!
Tonight I will throw it into the machine and hope that everything works fine.

----------
London, UK
----------

Return to posts index

Paolo Castellano
on Nov 21, 2012 at 6:04:40 pm

Hi Felix,
I'm confident that you will be successful, good luck!
Best Regards,

Paolo.Castellano@ivs.it
-----------------------
"Post Fata Resurgo"

Return to posts index

Shahriar Rahman
DId the new Decklink Studio 2 work with your Resolve?
on Dec 20, 2012 at 6:11:41 am

Felix,

I am in the same boat as you. My machine is a 3770k Ivy Bridge processor on an the new Z77 Gigabyte mobo with Thunderbolt. I have a Decklink Studio 2 that I had used on my Mac Pro and, even though "Decklink Studio 2" shows up in the playback preferences in Resolve, there doesn't seen be any signal outputted to my playback monitor. I tried both component and HDMI. I can't get video out using Premiere CS6 either.

I want to hear your experiences. Did you get it to work? As I am grading a project now, your prompt response will be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

-shah

Return to posts index

Felix Schmilinsky
Re: DId the new Decklink Studio 2 work with your Resolve?
on Dec 20, 2012 at 9:19:26 am

Hey!
I meant to write about the result earlier. Thanks for the reminder.

The new card I received from Blackmagic Design worked perfectly fine with no trouble. It was recognised in all the software immediately after installing the card and the newest drivers. I suspect the card, I was sold via eBay was faulty. But BMD handled it very uncomplicated and just swapped the card as it was still under warranty. BUT so far, I was very busy with other stuff and actually haven't tested the card outputting any signals to a monitor.

I believe that there is not really a general compatibility issue between sandy bridge processors and the Decklink studio 2 card. Did you play with the Decklink Multibridge Utility that comes with the driver software to route the signal correctly? Did you try your card in another system?

Good luck!

----------
London, UK
----------

Return to posts index

Shahriar Rahman
on Dec 20, 2012 at 9:42:55 am

Felix, thanks for the thorough response. The Davinci Resolve 9 Lite installer does not appear to have a Multibridge Utility. Perhaps I am missing something?

I know that Multibridge is another product line from Blackmagic and I have not read in any other forums of people using this tool to help get monitor playback video outs from their Resolves.

The reason why I am asking you if the new card worked for you is that in the "Davinci Resolve Config Guide" documentation that comes with the Resolve installer, it lists two Blackmagic cards that work with Resolve, and the Studio 2 ain't one of them. I attached a screenshot.

If you can get it to work, you will be a Godsend! Let us know!

-shah

Return to posts index

Felix Schmilinsky
on Dec 20, 2012 at 9:46:45 am

I will only be able to test it thoroughly in the new year.

What I referred to is the Multibridge Utility that comes with the Decklink driver software:
http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/detail?sid=3945&pid=4012&leg=false&... (this is a link for Mac OS X drivers)

I'll keep you posted

----------
London, UK
----------

Return to posts index

Paolo Castellano
on Dec 20, 2012 at 10:12:40 am

Hello Shah,
you will find the app to configure your Decklink Studio 2 in the Control Panel (Hardware and Sound), but you cannot make lots of things there (for the output). The problem could be into your card or into your playback monitor. Does it support any video standards and all frame rates? Are you able to get video input (from a live source to the BMD DS2)?
Best Regards,

Paolo.Castellano@ivs.it
-----------------------
"Post Fata Resurgo"

Return to posts index

Shahriar Rahman
SUCCESS! Decklink Studio 2 outputs from Resolve - but a question!
on Dec 20, 2012 at 9:00:09 pm

Paolo,

Thanks for the tip. The Blackmagic Studio 2 outputs video over HDMI with my Final Cut Pro 7.

After looking carefully into the project settings in Resolve, I discovered I made an oversight: in the Master Project Settings, under the Video Monitoring tab, I had left it at the default HD 1080PsF 23.976 when it should have been HD 1080P 23.976 for my material. This setting needs to be set here even if you have the correct setting (HD 1080P 23.976, in my case) in the Deck Capture and Playback tab.

My question: Why is that?

I am new to Resolve. What is the difference in changing the playback setting in Master Project Settings tab versus changing it in Deck Capture and Playback tab?

-shah

Return to posts index

Shahriar Rahman
on Dec 20, 2012 at 9:04:21 pm

Felix,

After installing the latest Desktop video software again, I do now notice a "Blackmagic Multibridge Utility" application, although this may have been there since my previous installition and I smply overlooked it. Thanks for that.

HOWEVER, after I launch it, everything is greyed out -- it does not let me change any of the mappings. Also, in the menu bar, there is nothing listed under "Devices." Not sure if this is supposed to be normal, since I don't have a Multirbridge hardware device connected.

I was under the impression that any mapping or setting with the Decklink Studio 2 card is all to be done in the Blackmagic Design Desktop Video system control panel.

-shah

Return to posts index

Shahriar Rahman
Use of Multibridge Utility with Decklink Studio 2?
on Dec 20, 2012 at 9:06:44 pm

Felix,

After installing the latest Desktop video software again, I do now notice a "Blackmagic Multibridge Utility" application, although this may have been there since my previous installition and I smply overlooked it. Thanks for that.

HOWEVER, after I launch it, everything is greyed out -- it does not let me change any of the mappings. Also, in the menu bar, there is nothing listed under "Devices." Not sure if this is supposed to be normal, since I don't have a Multirbridge hardware device connected.

I was under the impression that any mapping or setting with the Studio 2 card is all to be done in the Blackmagic Design Desktop Video system control panel.

On another note, as I explained in another post to Paolo, I got the card to work -- I had an incorrect project setting (wrong HD frame rate for my material).

-shah

Return to posts index

Paolo Castellano
Re: Use of Multibridge Utility with Decklink Studio 2?
on Dec 20, 2012 at 10:51:15 pm

Hi Shah,
don't care about the Multibridge Utility. Now the driver is unified and so I think that the installer installs that utility even if you don't have the Multibridge (the external, breakout boxed, BMD card/dual channel converter). It will stay grayed out until you don't connect a Multibridge via USB for the I/O configuration in the converter mode.
You are right all Decklink Studio 2 management is done in the Blackmagic Design Desktop Video system control panel.

I'm glad that you solved your problem.
Ciao,

Paolo.Castellano@ivs.it
-----------------------
"Post Fata Resurgo"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]