FORUMS: list search recent posts

Low cost HDMI cameras - into ATEM TVstudio at 720p/50 or 720p/60 - that work

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sangye Ngawang
Low cost HDMI cameras - into ATEM TVstudio at 720p/50 or 720p/60 - that work
on Oct 14, 2012 at 4:17:59 pm

Hi All,
I do video conferencing, have been reaching high quality levels. Quality video = easier stream encoding etc. So i started using blackmagic capture and bringing in good video from a Sony semi-professional camera.

This year i want to incorporate an ATEM TV studio - the basic model, and improve my side cameras. I have different cameras for the different locations sitting above the monitor displaying that location.

Now, i know you can't mix resolution of your inputs with this TV studio - its not a scaler. I also want to connect computers via HDMI. I could use 720p/50 or 720p/60 (going 1080 is pointless for video conferencing) which is easy to support with HD cameras and PC HDMI outputs.

What i want is not the absolute cheapest - not a bloggie for example but something with zoom that is very cheap. A lot of JVC or Sony HD camcorders have HDMI AV output - but does this monitor live? So i am looking for people who use something inexpensive with their Blackmagic ATEM TV studio.

FYI - i use xsplit software with Blackmagic to pipe video via Skype. I get excellent results locking into HD or perhaps scaled down to 640x360 because of this xsplit software. I can mix several skype links into a main mix using xsplit as a software vision mixer which outputs as a virtual camera to Skype. So i would have the local camera mix and another possible mix layered on top of that to bring together other skype images. Its quite mind-bending, the audio mixing is also non-trivial at least initially. I have achieved great results. There are better conferencing programs than Skype but i have to adapt to the audience needs. Feel free to ask anything in exchange for your advice - i manage to achieve some impressive results on a low budget thus far.

Thanks for your help.
Sangye

Return to posts index

Sangye Ngawang
Re: Low cost HDMI cameras - into ATEM TVstudio at 720p/50 or 720p/60 - that work
on Oct 20, 2012 at 9:56:45 pm

Well since my original post did a lot of research. Its common for ATEM TVS users to want to use 720p for streaming ... and to be looking for cameras.
Without going into the $2000 plus range for video cameras the only options are.
A low cost camcorder + a standards converter - some exist from TVone for HD at around $300-350. Most camcorders from Sony, Panasonic don't do 720p - just 1080p or 1080i and PAL SD.

So then it is the world of DSLR - and again you have to go over $2000 into the Nikon D800 or D4, Sony a99, and Panasonic Lumix GH2 or the new GH3. Since the GH2 is the most affordable it is really the most affordable option - perhaps a little more skill involved but with changable lenses there is a huge user base doing video work. Maybe it's a little strange for live production. I may save up a bit more and get the GH3 if i can find stock in time for my event.

Black Magic ATEM TVS doesn't standards convert so if you go 720p you want to have everything going native to that. I don't see much point having standards converter and extra cabling, powersupplies - may as well have one camera.

Return to posts index

Sangye Ngawang
Re: Low cost HDMI cameras - into ATEM TVstudio at 720p/50 or 720p/60 - that work
on Oct 20, 2012 at 9:57:13 pm

Well since my original post did a lot of research. Its common for ATEM TVS users to want to use 720p for streaming ... and to be looking for cameras.
Without going into the $2000 plus range for video cameras the only options are.
A low cost camcorder + a standards converter - some exist from TVone for HD at around $300-350. Most camcorders from Sony, Panasonic don't do 720p - just 1080p or 1080i and PAL SD.

So then it is the world of DSLR - and again you have to go over $2000 into the Nikon D800 or D4, Sony a99, and Panasonic Lumix GH2 or the new GH3. Since the GH2 is the most affordable it is really the most affordable option - perhaps a little more skill involved but with changable lenses there is a huge user base doing video work. Maybe it's a little strange for live production. I may save up a bit more and get the GH3 if i can find stock in time for my event.

Black Magic ATEM TVS doesn't standards convert so if you go 720p you want to

Return to posts index

Josh Ka
on Jul 28, 2014 at 5:04:03 pm

Hi Sangye,

After finding your thread it really helped as my situation was similar to yours. Did you end getting the GH3? I did and wanted to know what kind of battery life you saw using it for video.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]